Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

This is a great idea, will have to look into it. Several years ago there was a problem with our account, don't remember the exact details, but we needed to establish a new account, however we also had to keep the original open for checks that hadn't cleared yet. My DH put $300 into that account until the problem was corrected, then he only used that debit card number on charges that he initiated, which meant if the account was hacked, they could only get $300, unlike a debit card which would have access to your entire account. It always pays to be alert, and for the bank to be alert too. One day after dropping my husband and daughter on a plane to FL, she going back home and he "looking for a job", so I decided to initiate my new credit card that was in my name only. I made several purchases before and after work, and when I got home, the bank had left me a message about the charges made that day, as I had never used the card before. It was nice to know that "they had my back". It never hurts to be too careful.