View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Lady Diana

Default Star Quilts copyright

It is not OK to copy a pattern or book and resell it as yours. I would not think of taking away someone's profit from their pattern selling. However, after that purchase, the use, making, donating and selling of the item made from the pattern, is fine.

It is obvious that Diane was very bothered by the lady who made quilts from her pattern and put them on ebay or etsy. I'm not sure how she knew they were her patterns if it is the Lone Star quilts I see on her site. The fact that ebay took them off of their site gives no credence to Diane's claim of copyright....they did not want the hassle or feuding over the posting.

The lady might have copied Diane's photograph to use on ebay to sell her own Lone Star quilt. That seems to be what Diane was upset about. What would Diane have done if it was the most beautiful Lone Star quilt ever made and she mentioned Diane's pattern, would she be telling Ebay to take it off their site?

Bottom line, Diane needs to read and understand US copyright law. If she cannot, then hire that attorney.

After reading the posts it sounds like Diane may be in copyright infringement by declaring someone else's design as hers. A Lone Star is a Lone Star, is a Lone Star. The variation of color, fabric and technique doesn't change the Lone Star Design....which IS NOT DIANE'S TO CLAIM.

]as I was looking for "star" quilts I came across this site that has a discussion on copy-right laws. Very interesting!!! !http://www.nativeamericanstarquilts.net/Patterns.htm Click on "copyright" to read.[/QUOTE]