Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

as I was looking for "star" quilts I came across this site that has a discussion on copy-right laws. Very interesting!!! !http://www.nativeamericanstarquilts.net/Patterns.htm Click on "copyright" to read.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

It doesn't actually matter what Diane wants or says. It only matters what the actual law says. She can claim anything she wants, doesn't make it law. She can also go stand in the garage and claim she's a car, it won't make it so though.

You are right Scissor Queen! Wow, Diane really needs to understand copyright law. She says that no one can post a picture of the quilt they made from her pattern,no one can sell a quilt they made from her pattern. Really? When a person buys the pattern, the purchaser can do anything they want with the item made from the pattern. If Diane doesn't want anyone to sell a quilt made from her pattern, she shouldn't sell the pattern then. If someone sued her for her rules that she wants the purchaser to follow, I have a feeling she would learn real fast what rights she does have and what rights she doesn't. An expensive lesson, but one that I think she would not forget.

Why would someone sue Diane, wouldn't it be the other way around?
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Not a logical position. Someone posts pix of a gorgeous quilt they made and then there is a rush to buy the pattern. That is how a lot of patterns and books are sold, isn't it?

Blog Entries
    I don' t get something about this. The only thing she is saying you cannot copy her pattern, or am i missing something. Her stars ares exquiste.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    I guess I missed it too...I only see where she says it's against the law to reproduce pictures or copy them from her site. But to clarify...I feel qualified being a graphic artist, if credit given to the artist...say I posted a pic of a pattern from that site and said it comes from her and here is the site, totally legal. Don't want to split hairs here. People are allowed to be confused in my book...if not I would be in a jail for confused people!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

She says you cannot post pictures of quilts you have made from her patterns on any site from which you are trying to sell the quilt, but you can post pictures on other sites, such as social media sites.

I think the strangest thing is that although you may not sell on the internet, she gives you permission to sell quilts made from her patterns at local brick and mortar stores and pow-wows.

It appears that her objection comes from people doing shoddy work from her patterns for the world to see more than objections about people making money from her designs.

Interesting.

Wow. Diane needs to hire a lawyer and cut back on the caffeine.

Her work is lovely but her attitude is pretty ugly.

Don't some people ask that you don't pin their images to Pinterest? This might be one of those requests.
    Never mind, I read the page. Seems like she got burned.
    Last edited by lots2do; 05-31-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Her site is full of false copyright information. So... why would I buy a pattern from her?

I think I'd just make a Texas star quilt from a pattern published in a bazillion books and free patterns on the web. Looks pretty much like one anyway.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Oh OH! I just went back and followed the link. Oh brother!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    I don' t get something about this. The only thing she is saying you cannot copy her pattern, or am i missing something. Her stars ares exquiste.
    You missed the part about not putting a pic of a quilt from her pattern anywhere that the public has access to???
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What Scissor Queen states is true. You can checkout "copyright laws and get the actual facts there. Besides there are many places on this Board with the different links where you can purchase or download free patterns. There are so many patterns it makes ones head spin. You can take one square and cut it anyway you want at any degree and you are on your way to a quilt. Kind of like a recipe; even Paula Deen will tell you to take her recipe and run with it.

What I don't understand is what makes her patterns so special. They look like pretty standard star designs with maybe a few tweeks in color placement or number of rows of diamonds in the stars. In fact I don't even see the need to buy the pattern. Why not just look at the pictures and make one?

I've just gone to see Diane's site and "her" interpretation of copyright. She is partially within her rights and partially way off in left field. She CAN ask that we not use her personal-private-took-them-myself photos and we can't photocopy and then sell her patterns. Fine by me. The rest? ummnnn, not...

However, she did not invent the Texas Star, or if she did, she must be close to 150 years old...and she is certainly not the originator of Native American designs.

What saddens me as a pattern designer is that, by trying to protect her business, she is alienating us, doing herself a grave disservice and losing business.
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

Blog Entries
    if you are concerned about copyright laws the best place to find the answers are on the US COPYRIGHT web site- all the rules, hows & whys are explained in great detail --- I've read many different (peoples versions/takes on the laws) but when it comes right down to it- what the copyright office says is the only 'real' version you need to concern yourself with.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

This subject is always good for discussion! Did you ladies read the entire info given on this site? I think that much of her info is correct. Also she lists several other sites with agreeing info. Dianne specifically says that you may not post pic if it is to SELL a quilt made from a pattern. When you make a quilt from a copyrighted pattern you are in essence "copying" that pattern /"reproduced in the finished product"so you can not sell the quilt . However you can ask for "Permission" to sell quilt and f you get it then you can proceed. Check you books and patterns. Most have the same copyright information. I have one book that says " it is permissioible for the purchaser to creat the designs contained herein and sell hem at fairs, bazaars, and craft stores"There are hundreds of patterns that are consided "public domain" and can be used to sell quilts with no infringement on copyright laws.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Basically, copyright laws protect the author and publisher. If you purchased the book and copied it then tried to sell it as your own,(you being the author and publisher) then you've broken the copyright laws. If you copy or purchase a pattern to sell a product and state you got it from so and so, that is not breaking any copyright law. You have given the author the credit.

Sad - I feel bad that someone has to be that paranoid.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I think that many designers go too far, way to far in trying to protect the rights that they may or may not have. The bottom line, nobody became rich by selling quilts at a local market. Nobody! I love the blogger from Cluck Cluck Sew who tells you to go on and make quilts from her patterns and sell them. She hopes by doing that her small business will help another small business at least a little bit. Now that is class!

I don't understand how Dianne can "claim" this is HER design, the design is a Lone Star, which has been around for many years.

I'm just saying... If I purchase a pattern, make a quilt from that pattern, want to take a picture and post a picture of the product I made, I will. To me that's why she makes patterns and that's why I would buy one. If she wants to claim I can't do that, whomever would just have to take me to court.

What I won't do is a tutorial on making the quilt or make copies of the directions to pass among other quilters. I get the fact she wants to sell her pattern. She needs to get a grip. She's selling a pattern which is not a finished product and the finished product is the owner's. Now if I was making money off the finished the product, I could see she would entitled to a cut of the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
    This subject is always good for discussion! Did you ladies read the entire info given on this site? I think that much of her info is correct. Also she lists several other sites with agreeing info. Dianne specifically says that you may not post pic if it is to SELL a quilt made from a pattern. When you make a quilt from a copyrighted pattern you are in essence "copying" that pattern /"reproduced in the finished product"so you can not sell the quilt . However you can ask for "Permission" to sell quilt and f you get it then you can proceed. Check you books and patterns. Most have the same copyright information. I have one book that says " it is permissioible for the purchaser to creat the designs contained herein and sell hem at fairs, bazaars, and craft stores"There are hundreds of patterns that are consided "public domain" and can be used to sell quilts with no infringement on copyright laws.
    Copyright laws DO NOT extend to items made by other people from patterns you have sold. It does NOT matter what someone states on a website or in a book. The actual law is all that matters and the actual law does NOT extend rights beyond your own work product or "creative expression." She is selling patterns with the expectation that people will make items from those patterns. What they do with those items is not within her control or rights. You do not need her permission to sell a quilt made from a pattern you bought.

The exception is if you copy an original work of art that is copyrighted. An original painting, drawing or photograph can not be copied in fabric without permission from the copyright holder.

I looked at her patterns. I don't see a single one that's truly original. They're all variations of a Lone Star.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast