Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

as I was looking for "star" quilts I came across this site that has a discussion on copy-right laws. Very interesting!!! !http://www.nativeamericanstarquilts.net/Patterns.htm Click on "copyright" to read.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

It doesn't actually matter what Diane wants or says. It only matters what the actual law says. She can claim anything she wants, doesn't make it law. She can also go stand in the garage and claim she's a car, it won't make it so though.

You are right Scissor Queen! Wow, Diane really needs to understand copyright law. She says that no one can post a picture of the quilt they made from her pattern,no one can sell a quilt they made from her pattern. Really? When a person buys the pattern, the purchaser can do anything they want with the item made from the pattern. If Diane doesn't want anyone to sell a quilt made from her pattern, she shouldn't sell the pattern then. If someone sued her for her rules that she wants the purchaser to follow, I have a feeling she would learn real fast what rights she does have and what rights she doesn't. An expensive lesson, but one that I think she would not forget.

Why would someone sue Diane, wouldn't it be the other way around?
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Not a logical position. Someone posts pix of a gorgeous quilt they made and then there is a rush to buy the pattern. That is how a lot of patterns and books are sold, isn't it?

I wonder how many of Diane's patterns she has copied from someone else. There isn't a single one of those star quilts that someone couldn't have designed themselves with EQ7 or graph paper.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Agree. and does she think she is the only person with the pattern? how the heck would she know? it would be very time consuming to monitor the web to see who is posting what picture. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Not a logical position. Someone posts pix of a gorgeous quilt they made and then there is a rush to buy the pattern. That is how a lot of patterns and books are sold, isn't it?
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Blog Entries
    She has one that looks almost like the one I made several years ago using Eleanor Burns book the only thing I could see that would be wrong is to photo copy her patterns and try to sell them which I am sure no one would do

I think I am a little "snorty" about issues like this. If a person wants someone's money and would like them to recommend them and their website to other people and are on the web (free advertising is that?), they needent be so legal minded about others using their stuff when they are willing to use other people's. Sorry about that horrible sentence. I am sure you get it, though.

Bottom line for me is that there are plenty of very creative, highly artistic people and sites and I can leave the legalistic soul to enjoy herself by herself. May it bring her joy.

Thank all of you for being so supportive and giving. My late friend's last gift, one of her best gifts to me, was Quilting Board. You are all terrific people, not just terrific quilters.

Pat

I wish some of these designers would get off their high horse and come down to earth. It is possible that two people can design a very similar quilt even if they live on opposite sides of the earth.
    Sheena

This is a very interesting read:-

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...Quilting.shtml
    Sheena

Diane seems to be pretty full of herself doesn't she? My Grandmother always said that imitation is the truest form of flattery.

geeze I wonder if that's the same diane that has this pattern http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+it+pattern.do cause she has all kinds of rules with the instruction and states only for personal use and donations and to put a label on the cover with her name as the designer of the pattern????(don't get that part) if you donate them. then in bold print has my pattern may not be made into items for sale,I order it and found I didn't need the pattern in the end as I found the exact same style on printrest free, go figure this is a common pattern that's around for years.

The easiest way to deal with this is to not buy her patterns! Why be aggravated.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeljane View Post
    I just read that Diane is a member here. Maybe she should read this.

WOW!!! What a snob!!!! Did anyone see anything so "original" that you haven't seen the same pattern 100 times before..... for free? All I can say is that Diane needs to get over herself. YIKES!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
    I wonder how many of Diane's patterns she has copied from someone else. There isn't a single one of those star quilts that someone couldn't have designed themselves with EQ7 or graph paper.
    That's what I was thinking. They are nice, but NOT UNIQUE. They are variations on a star. And after all that " my designs are so wonderful, you can't copy them" stuff, I wouldn't buy a pattern even if I liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeljane View Post
    What makes the info in this post more accurate or trueful than Dianne's? As has been said before- Check with a Copyright Attorney for correct info.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

I think I developed a migraine after reading all her rules ahem, take on her version of copyright...I agree with Scissor Queens assessment.

Maybe someone can tell me....I didn't get far enough into Diane's version of copyright to see if Venus has to be aligned with Mars to display a quilt, made with one of her 'exclusive' designs, on my south wall between the hours of 10 and 2 PM on even numbered days during the month of July. But I'm sure it's there somewhere. Geese - oh - Pete.

This debate goes on and on, yet somehow the earth remains on it's axis with most quilters IMHO are most respectful and following the "Golden Rule"....
    Last edited by onaemtnest; 06-01-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Blog Entries
    Am I missing something? I see quilts like this all over the place... Is she the "original designer" of the star quilt? Even if you follow all the directions, the quilt, as in all quilts are never ever the same. I think after all that is on her website about what someone can and cannot do, they would just get fed up with it and not purchase anything. Maybe she was misinformed about what she had to do to protect her "original Idea" but that is really overkill.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Quote Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
    I think I developed a migraine after reading all her rules ahem, take on her version of copyright...I agree with Scissor Queens assessment.

Maybe someone can tell me....I didn't get far enough into Diane's version of copyright to see if Venus has to be aligned with Mars to display a quilt, made with one of her 'exclusive' designs, on my south wall between the hours of 10 and 2 PM on even numbered days during the month of July. But I'm sure it's there somewhere. Geese - oh - Pete.

This debate goes on and on, yet somehow the earth remains on it's axis with most quilters IMHO are most respectful and following the "Golden Rule"....
    LOL!!!!that sounds more like a life insurance policy

Question, isn't the lone star pattern old enough to be copyright free? I have one my Mom made in 1939 in the closet.

Bye the way, I am starting a quilt that I saw at a guild meeting about 20 years ago. Yes, a local lady designed it, don't remember who. I modified it to my taste and when I post the picture of it will state that someone else designed the original but that I used my EQ7 to redesign it.