Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another copyright discussion >

Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM

there is a saying-your fist ends where my nose begins- i think that can apply to copyright, too. A designer has the right to have their work protected-not copied and passed off as someone else's. but that right ends when it comes to controlling what I make/sell using their pattern. They have no control over that. and no, I don't have to ask their permission.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 PM

Here's a question? I get it that numerous vendors claim to hold copyrights. How do I KNOW they do have a copyright? Just because they say so, doesn't mean they do!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I do not undestand . Are you all NOT going to buy/use a pattern with the basic copoyright statement printed on the pattern or book.This statement is on about 99.9% of the quilting books and patterns. Does that mean that you are designing your own patterns! Or are you just saying that you will not buy because Dianne stood up for her rights on copyright infringement.

Many, many of the patterns I see in books and magazines are long time favorites. Usually just a different take on colors and fabrics.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
If it's written, it's copyrighted. You can bet that Microsoft has copyrighted everything they publish. You don't know that MS took them from HP or Dell, it may be the other way around. In any case it's copyrighted. If it has photos, they're copyrighted. You can not copy it, publish it and claim it's your own. You can probably forward it in its entirety to someone and say, "here's a thing I got from ___"

I've written a few articles in my life and I guarantee you NONE OF THEM were copyrighted.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I just wanna let all you gals know that I invented the Log Cabin, Double Wedding Ring, and Trip Around the World patterns, so please do not post any pictures of them for sale or I will have to send Moose out to your house to show you the error of your ways.....
Annie's Choice, Balkan Puzzle, Dutchman's Puzzle are mine.

Oh, never mind. I'm NOT that old.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I've written a few articles in my life and I guarantee you NONE OF THEM were copyrighted.
Actually they are. Anything you write is technically copyrighted. You don't have to register it to own the copyright, although if you ever have to go to court over infringement, you stand a better chance of proving ownership if you did register it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 AM

I just looked at her website, and I only see a FEW quilts of the whole that could be considered her "original" designs ... the eagle, the turtle and one or 2 others ... can't even remember what they are now
The rest ?? ... are the TRADITIONAL, TIME-honored Lone Star, Broken Star or Blazing Star patterns ... nothing unique or added to any of them. Color placement is the only change in these quilts, and people have been making these star quilts for decades

This is about as silly a claim as some of the "modern quilt" designers I see who claim nine-patches, churn dashes and strip designs as their own, exclusive "designs" ...
Sorry, but the Amish and others did ALL those, and more - 100+ years ago ... ! LOL

Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I do not undestand . Are you all NOT going to buy/use a pattern with the basic copoyright statement printed on the pattern or book.This statement is on about 99.9% of the quilting books and patterns. Does that mean that you are designing your own patterns! Or are you just saying that you will not buy because Dianne stood up for her rights on copyright infringement.

I just had to check my books. They all have an almost identicle statement.
All rights reserved. No part of this work covered by the copyright hereon may be reproduced or used in any form or by any means - graphic, electronic, or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, taping or information storage and retrieval systems- without written permission of the publisher.

This is almost word for word in every book. Nowhere in that do I read that the designer is making any claims on what I can do with my quilt. Your claim that 99.9% of patterns try to make theese claims is wrong.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM

It seems to me that if Diane offers the pattern for sale, that is permission to reproduce it (otherwise, why sell the pattern?). And why would anyone buy a pattern if they didn't plan on reproducing the work (someday-lol)? It seems to me too that Diane is a little too full of herself and as someone has already said, the pattern is not an original that she thought up on her own, as it is a reproduction of ones made many many many sunrises and sunsets ago. I say GO FORTH AND QUILT, and enjoy doing it.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM

posted by feather-n-Fur "This is almost word for word in every book. Nowhere in that do I read that the designer is making any claims on what I can do with my quilt. Your claim that 99.9% of patterns try to make theese claims is wrong."

What I mean is the 99.9% of books and quilt pattern have this copyright statement printed on them. You have proved my point. Can all these books and pattens be printiing incorrect and incporrect info?