Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another copyright discussion >

Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
I would like to ask a question about copyright in general. When Microsoft publishes pre-formatted newsletters, they sometimes take them from other companies, like HP or Dell, etc. They offer those newsletters free and do not designate how they are to be used. Is it true that *pictures* in those newsletters are copyrighted? How could that be if the whole newsletter is not? I have searched and searched for a statement on their site to say any of their free material is copyrighted and cannot find it.
If it's written, it's copyrighted. You can bet that Microsoft has copyrighted everything they publish. You don't know that MS took them from HP or Dell, it may be the other way around. In any case it's copyrighted. If it has photos, they're copyrighted. You can not copy it, publish it and claim it's your own. You can probably forward it in its entirety to someone and say, "here's a thing I got from ___"
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Ladies (and gentlemen), please read the entire page on the above link.

It will clarify what can and cannot be done with patterns and fabrics regardless of what paranoid statements are attached thereto.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by spstout View Post
I am a trial lawyer by day, quilter by night and this discussion has had me alternately laughing, rolling my eyes, and wanting to scream. Scissor Queen is spot on in her comments throughout. You cannot copyright a design. You can copyright the written instructions or the art (individual photos or drawings) but not the idea. Ideas and concepts are not subject to copyright protection. Further, most patterns fall into a "useful items" designation. That is why you cannot copyright a designer outfit or purse. Putting something on a website under a heading that says "Copyright" does not make it law. If you buy a pattern, you may not reproduce and sell the pattern for profit. You may make the item, share the item, sell the item, photograph the item, etc. to your heart's content. If anyone wants the actual Supreme Court case law, I would be happy to provide it, but I thought I'd save you all from that! Now, pick up your needles and make whatever you want!

Oh, and Big Sister - just because you provide quotation marks and source doesn't mean you can copy something. Whie I understand you were being tongue-in-cheek, if those quotes were really subject to copyright protection you would need the author's permission to reproduce them.
Mahalo for putting the copyright law in a nutshell.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
I would like to ask a question about copyright in general. When Microsoft publishes pre-formatted newsletters, they sometimes take them from other companies, like HP or Dell, etc. They offer those newsletters free and do not designate how they are to be used. Is it true that *pictures* in those newsletters are copyrighted? How could that be if the whole newsletter is not? I have searched and searched for a statement on their site to say any of their free material is copyrighted and cannot find it.
Perhaps Microsoft paid for the right to use those newsletters. Or it might be part of the contracts that they have with those companies. Not sure just why only the pictures would be copyrighted. You can quote any published material, as long as you cite the source. You just cannot sell it, or claim it as your own. You can also paraphrase.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I just wanna let all you gals know that I invented the Log Cabin, Double Wedding Ring, and Trip Around the World patterns, so please do not post any pictures of them for sale or I will have to send Moose out to your house to show you the error of your ways.....
Gosh, I owe you big time on the Log Cabin...I cannot say how many I have made! Would have to think a while! No, maybe not as I have not sold any. Yet.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 AM

This discussion always interests me. A few years ago I purchased a purse pattern...did not think about copyright. I was not planning on making any to sell, either. On another quilt forum, this lady's copyright was brought up. I looked on my pattern, cannot remember exactly what it said. It wasn't that strict. Then I went to her website and she was so nasty about it, I will never ever buy another pattern from her. You would have thought she invented the purse itself. First of all, people that would buy a purse, are not people that will make one as a general rule.

I cannot remember the exact question about copyright and making them for charity or to sell...but her reply was so nasty that I just don't even like to see her on TV or anywhere. One of the phrases was that 'if you are reading this, this means you.' I checked her sight a while back when copyright was brought up, and it still says you cannot sell things made from her designs...that it is to protect her business.

To me, if they want to increase their business, include some kind label with their pattern and ask if you will place it where it can be seen.

Now I went to the site talked about here and all I saw at first was the Lone Star...which I don't see how in the world she can say is hers. Then I noticed the one was eagles, and two or three of the others were different. But still, I would run from her patterns if she has that attitude.

I have bought one pattern in the last few years, and I will eventually use it. But most things I see are just a jumping off point for me.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:33 PM

What I don't understand is why people don't recognize the fact that they are creating the exact opposite reaction of what they intend when they do this.

This will in no way "protect their business". All it does is make people want to have nothing whatsoever to do with them or anything they might have for sale and thus totally destroys their business.

As mentioned by others, requesting nicely that mention be made of the fact that an item was designed by cxxxxx whenever showing or selling an item made from the pattern and even asking that a link to the designer's website be included, would be much more likely to create the business protection they are desiring and would be much less likely to create animosity. In fact it would very likely increase their business instead of driving customers away in droves!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 AM

I do not undestand . Are you all NOT going to buy/use a pattern with the basic copoyright statement printed on the pattern or book.This statement is on about 99.9% of the quilting books and patterns. Does that mean that you are designing your own patterns! Or are you just saying that you will not buy because Dianne stood up for her rights on copyright infringement.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 AM

I'm saying that there is a right way to present the idea of respect for copyright and a way that is extremely offensive to prospective customers and will drive them away.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Or are you just saying that you will not buy because Dianne stood up for her rights on copyright infringement.
You say stood up, I say stood up and jumped overboard.