Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another copyright discussion >

Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
More!!! I was just checking internet for "crochet necklaces" and found many cute patterns ALL with the copyright disclaimer. If I choose to make some of these for personal use ( not selling them) then I feel free to make them without permission of the designer. However if I choose to make them to SELL on etsy then I will email the designer and ask permission to sell on etsy. If she says yes the great : if no then I will try another designer! Why not honor the request of the designers (legal or not) by getting permission to sell. I would expect the same respect and consideration of those who want to sell my designs!!!!
Same thing, they can copyright the instructions, photos and illustrations. They can't control what you do with anything made from those instructions.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 AM

I think some designers are just copying boilerplate from other patterns because "everyone else is". But there is a huge difference between copying and selling someone's pattern as your own (wrong) and trying to control what someone makes with the pattern they BOUGHT from you! And, it don't see how it hurts them in the least if someone makes 20 of them to sell at on Etsy or at a craft fair - if anything they might sell more patterns. What am I missing?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
I think some designers are just copying boilerplate from other patterns because "everyone else is". But there is a huge difference between copying and selling someone's pattern as your own (wrong) and trying to control what someone makes with the pattern they BOUGHT from you! And, it don't see how it hurts them in the least if someone makes 20 of them to sell at on Etsy or at a craft fair - if anything they might sell more patterns. What am I missing?
I'm so with you on this!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Now this one made me laugh!!! No more bake sales ; )
Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
I had to laugh at this one. I'm feeling it's like buying a recipe book but forbidding you from cooking for your neighbors. Or selling the cookies you made from the book. Or sharing the recipe with a friend.

Still steamin'
Old 06-06-2013, 02:56 PM

I just wanna let all you gals know that I invented the Log Cabin, Double Wedding Ring, and Trip Around the World patterns, so please do not post any pictures of them for sale or I will have to send Moose out to your house to show you the error of your ways.....
Old 06-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I just wanna let all you gals know that I invented the Log Cabin, Double Wedding Ring, and Trip Around the World patterns, so please do not post any pictures of them for sale or I will have to send Moose out to your house to show you the error of your ways.....
Oh shoot, you beat me to it!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
Hope you are getting royalities from the sale and use of the patterns and the sale of quilts made from these patterns!!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
You are right Scissor Queen! Wow, Diane really needs to understand copyright law. She says that no one can post a picture of the quilt they made from her pattern,no one can sell a quilt they made from her pattern. Really? When a person buys the pattern, the purchaser can do anything they want with the item made from the pattern. If Diane doesn't want anyone to sell a quilt made from her pattern, she shouldn't sell the pattern then. If someone sued her for her rules that she wants the purchaser to follow, I have a feeling she would learn real fast what rights she does have and what rights she doesn't. An expensive lesson, but one that I think she would not forget.
I would like to ask a question about copyright in general. When Microsoft publishes pre-formatted newsletters, they sometimes take them from other companies, like HP or Dell, etc. They offer those newsletters free and do not designate how they are to be used. Is it true that *pictures* in those newsletters are copyrighted? How could that be if the whole newsletter is not? I have searched and searched for a statement on their site to say any of their free material is copyrighted and cannot find it.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM

IMHO- Seems like Mocrosoft has gotten permision from the other companies to use the preformated newsletters. Seem like the pictures should be included in that permission. This permission is the heart of the copyright issue! Even buying yhe pattern or in this case newsletter does not give the purcherser the right to "copy" this in any form and sell them. The operative word is "PERMISSION".
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by berryberry View Post
Now if I was making money off the finished the product, I could see she would entitled to a cut of the $$.
But if she sold the pattern for x$, then she should be happy--as that is what she is selling. I am not sure how the end product is hers too.

I heard that the person who invented the logo for a certain gas station here in Poland earned 1,000,000 zlotys for his design. Should he also get a cut of the profits from all the gas stations as well that use it? I'm really amazed at this idea.

Last edited by justflyingin; 06-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.