Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another copyright discussion >

Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM

I'm sorry, like she is the inventer of the star pattern. Pleeeeeese. You can't post the quilt you made on the internet, but she can? Never ever would I make or suggest one of her patterns. I will never ever stock one of her patterns in the store I manage. I would never stop at her booth at quilt market. Her remarks say it all. Star patterns that have been around for what at least 200 years. Maybe she invented earth, wind and fire as well. Jeepers!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 PM

I'm always puzzled by this type of control the pattern designers try to have over the use of the pattern. What is the purpose of a pattern if not to make the item? And then whose item is it? And the ill will that is the result of all this nonsense just makes me not want to support designers who have this type of thing on their pattern.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Ladies-Do you really think that several of the "star " quilt patterns show on her site are not her own original designs and should not be copyrighted but rather be called considered public domain???? You are nuts!!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM

My question. If a person buys the pattern, then asks YOU to make the quilt for them and pays you for doing it. Is that an infringement. You are not selling the pattern, you are selling YOUR LABOR. I have not read all of the comments here, so this might have been brought up, by someone else.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 PM

The operative part of the word here is COPY right. Which means no copying and nothing else!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 AM

If it is for sale, it is out there for sale to be used.
If a picture or a quilt is available to be viewed it is potentially going to be seen and possibly copied.
Only the instructions and the actual picture itself are able to be copyrighted.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Wasn't there something a while back about not being able to sell items that were made with Licensed Fabric
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 AM

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...edFabric.shtml
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Ladies-Do you really think that several of the "star " quilt patterns show on her site are not her own original designs and should not be copyrighted but rather be called considered public domain???? You are nuts!!!!!
Out of the miriad of Lone star patterns she sells (which are most definitely in the public domain as the pattern has been around since the 1800's) I saw maybe 3 that were unique. The eagle one, the turtle one, and the medicine wheel. The rest were just variations on the color placement of your diamonds. I will give her credit that she has some beautiful border designs on her lone stars but given that she is marketing lonestars as her own design, it makes me wonder how many of her designs are original and unique to her?

Really, the only thing, by law, she is allowed to copyright are her instructions in the pattern. Once we make a quilt using her pattern, we have the right to do whatever we want with said end product. I have a lone star on my bed. I used a pattern out of the book quilts, quilts, quilts. How would she be able to prove otherwise if I decided to sell this quilt on Etsy or Ebay?

This has been fought in courts ad-naseum and still people continue to spout incorrect copyright law and pretend like they have supreme ownership of products far exceeding copyright protection under law.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM

And the discussion goes on-----From pattern by BlackCatCreations/2007 "Purchase of the pattern entitles the buyer to make one or more items for NON-COMMERCIAL use. If you wish to sell items made for this pattern, written permission is requirted from Black Cat Creatkions". * And another---From pattern designed by Abigales Quiltery "---Any and all finished items produced from this pattern are protected by Federal Copyright Laws and may not be reproduced for coommercial use in ANY FORM whatsoever without the express written concent of Abygayles."*
Do you think these people are lying???

* these are direct quotes with acknowledgement given to the source therefore not in violation of copyight laws.