Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another copyright discussion >

Another copyright discussion

Another copyright discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I've written a few articles in my life and I guarantee you NONE OF THEM were copyrighted.
This is from the US Gov copyright site

"When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. "

It also states that you do not have to file for a copyright although it is best to do so (foir a fee of course)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
posted by feather-n-Fur "This is almost word for word in every book. Nowhere in that do I read that the designer is making any claims on what I can do with my quilt. Your claim that 99.9% of patterns try to make theese claims is wrong."

What I mean is the 99.9% of books and quilt pattern have this copyright statement printed on them. You have proved my point. Can all these books and pattens be printiing incorrect and incporrect info?
Again, the copywrite in the vast majority of books and patterns DOES NOT attempt to tell you what you can do with your quilt. So how did I prove your point??? People on here are stating they will not buy from these designers who seem to think they own your quilt if you use their pattern.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 PM

I do not undestand . Are you all NOT going to buy/use a pattern with the basic copoyright statement printed on the pattern or book.This statement is on about 99.9% of the quilting books and patterns. Does that mean that you are designing your own patterns! Or are you just saying that you will not buy because Dianne stood up for her rights on copyright infringement.
She did not stand up for her rights. She created rights that DO NOT EXIST. And she expressed her made up rights in a rude and offensive manner. Let me say this one more time, because you keep talking about these "rights" that DO NOT EXIST, she does not have the rights she claims!!! I do not understand your need to keep talking about rights that DO NOT EXIST. I am sorry for the frustration, but your defense of her patently incorrect statements is shocking.

Last edited by spstout; 06-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I've written a few articles in my life and I guarantee you NONE OF THEM were copyrighted.
You didn't register the copyright. But just because you didn't register it doesn't mean your work isn't copyrighted.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 PM

This is from the US Gov copyright site

"When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. "

It also states that you do not have to file for a copyright although it is best to do so (foir a fee of course)
Interesting! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM

If you want correct info then go to the source. I called US copy right office and spoke to some one about copyright statements written on the patterns and books for quilting. as soon as a pattern /book is put into written form it has a copyright on it. The holder of the copyright has to ability to set terms of the copyrighted pattern. Making of the pattern is a form of "copying" it. However (per industry standard) the sellers has the expectation that the buyer will make a quilt from the pattern for their personal use which includes, self, gift or SALE . This is true unless the seller has put other limitations on the pattern/book such as not for commercial use. Many quilts pattern use a block that is "public domain" blocks meaning that these block as been around for a very long time and can not be attributed to a specific designer. I can not copyright a "public domain " block BUT I can copyright the resulting artwork derived fror the arangemnt of the block(s). This gives me "authoriship to the pattern". if you choose to make many of a quilt pattern then written permission is needed or you must buy a pattern for each quilt you want to make. For example- I have made several baby quilts and really like the pattern and want to make many more to give away. I must either buy another pattern for each I want to make or get permission for the designer to make more. This is also true if you want to sell these quilts. Copyright rules are still inplace even if you choose different colors or add/subrtact from the original pattern. Check the copyright statement on the pattern/quilt to see if there are any restrictions. The
industry standard of usually making only 1 quilt per pattern is based on the knowledge that it takes a long time to make quilt and also costs $$$$ so most quilters only make 1 from each pattern to use themself to give as gifts. If you wan to make many of one pattern write/email the designer and ask for permission. it only cost a few cents to do this. and then you be covered. Some sites such as Dianne may come off too strong but this is to protect her rights as a designer. So it seems that most of the copyright statemnt on pattern /books are true.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM

bigsister63 That is very interesting.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM

check out http://www.quilterscache.com/TermsPage.htm with similiar restrictions.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 PM

check out http://www.quilterscache.com/TermsPage.htm with similiar restrictions.
For some reason this link does not work. I think I have seen the "Terms Page" but I do not remember feeling overly restricted by those terms. Actually, with as many patterns as she offers free of charge, I do not think she would restrict their use except if someone tried to sell them or put them in a book they were publishing. She is a dear generous heart.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kristi.G View Post
Actually they are. Anything you write is technically copyrighted. You don't have to register it to own the copyright, although if you ever have to go to court over infringement, you stand a better chance of proving ownership if you did register it.
When I was doing my Masters, I was in a class where the professor used papers the students wrote in a book she published. We did not know it at the time, nor did she *ask permission* to use them. I thought that was pretty low, but I understand people do that all the time. One reason certain professors assign thesis topics is because they want students to do research for books they are writing. It is kind of a shock to see your words verbatim in someone's book.