Thread: Sewing Table
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 PM
DebbE

DH & I bought a $30 farmhouse style table on Craigslist. I drew out a pattern of the bottom of my machine as closely as possible on a piece of paper. We checked the frame of the table and determined where the opening needed to end at, on both the side and the front of the table that I would be leaning over to sew on. Drew that pattern onto the table with marker, and DH started working on it. First he cut holes inside the lines on the four corners, and used a saber saw to cut the opening out. He did a bit of filing and test fitted the machine, a couple of adjustments, and that part was good to go. Then he took a board (1/2" plywood) that fit the bottom of the machine easily, and drilled through the top of the table down. He held the board up against the under side of the table so I could mark where the holes were (we 'eye balled' it to make sure it was roughly where it needed to go up against the table frame from the right and close to the front side). He double checked it again to make sure it would fit inside the frame. Then he drilled the holes in that. The board was about 22" long by 12" wide. DH had purchased 4" long carriage bolts (4) with the rounded tops that fits fairly flush to the top and flat washers/wing nuts under the board to adjust the corners of the board to make sure the height of the machine was correct to the top of the table. He also put acorn nuts on the very bottom of the carriage bolts so that I wouldn't scratch myself if I came across them (never have!). Its a perfect solution, and the machine comes out easily when I need to take it out. The switch on the side of the machine & is actually below the table now, but I've got it plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into a plug that is turned off and on by a wall switch, so that's perfect, too. There is lots of room for ventilation, I have the entire table top to the left and in front of the machine, and my chair to the table height is perfect, too. Quilting now is so much easier than before. Believe me, I appreciate my hubby - he's always so willing to do things like that for me, and has for over 40 years now.