Sewing Table

Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Sewing Table

Would anybody know how I could take a wood banquet style table (8' long) and make it so my sewing machine sits into the table so it's even flat space?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Gail
Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Find a great handyman? You would have to cut out the opening the size of your machine and then figure out how to put a shelf below it the right height that the table would fit the top of your sewing area.

Two concerns I have about doing this...1. The cut out would be rough on the edges and could snag the fabric. The other is that you would want to cut the opening the exact size as the shape of your machine...so the was no opening for the fabric to fall into.

Maybe someone else has a solution....I am sure it has been done!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

It depends on the table. You can use wood board under neath the hole to support your machine of you have something to screw the boards to. If the table is made out of the particle board, it isn't really secure enough for screws. You might be able to make a platform under the hole with gorilla glue if it is particle board table.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:34 PM

If you have someone who is handy at doing that kind of thing, you can google this type of project, and find many tutorials & Youtube videos. You can get the hardware from the internet or there is a company you can order a catalog from, who has a kit to recess a sewing machine. The site is: www.rockler.com My husband did it for me and it wasn't to hard. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS WELL.
Hope you can find someone to do it for you.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 AM

Here are three sites: I believe Eleanor Burns also has a video of her son making the table. Good Lick and post a pic when your done.

http://frommartawithlove.com/diy-ike...able-tutorial/
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t163636.html
http://www.quiltinaday.com/freepattern/ go to the bottom of the page and download PDF for making sewing table from Farmhouse table.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM

I sometimes think it is a good idea, but then I think.....if this machine breaks down and cannot be repaired or too costly, and I have to but another.....the opening might accommodate it.....what if I have to do some mending or whatever and need the free arm.........my first singer many yrs ago was built into a cabinet and I loved it that way, but then free arm came along....what we sewers thought at that time was the solution to all our problems, now we are encasing them into a cabinet thus disabling this feature...or am I thinking wrong. Granted many have more than one s/m......
Old 06-09-2014, 12:53 PM

What I've seen other people do, is build up around the machine rather than cut into the table. Get firm foam (like insulation board) and cut a hole for your machine and layer it up until it's the right height, then cover it with something slippery like vinyl. That way if you get a different machine or need access to free-arm you can just remove the foam and not be out a lot of money.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by madster View Post
Would anybody know how I could take a wood banquet style table (8' long) and make it so my sewing machine sits into the table so it's even flat space?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Gail
That is what I did, one of the wood looking ones. I stopped at a cabinet shop in town and asked them if they'd be interested in doing something different for fun

I had a acrylic fit around the machine thingie. I took that and my machine and had them understand the machine needed to be flush.
They charged me 25 bucks and I'm still using it 3 machines and 20ish years later.
Treated myself to an office chair at the same time, and absolutely love my set up.

with the surround, it really doesn't matter which machine I set in the table, the hole is big enough for all of them.

You need to decide how far back you want the machine from the edge. Some of older singer type cabinets the machine sits back about 3 inches further than is comfortable for me.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 06-09-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:38 PM

Someone on the Board showed how she/he used a thick piece of foam, about twin-sized, and cut a slot for the machine to slide into it. The bed was level and a quilt would slide on the foam.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Remember, too, while we are building the machine in - to leave breathing room or air so the machine vents can get air and not be closed off and burn up the machine. Just a thought. :-)

Marysewfun