Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
I agree with wilburness. You have a beautiful machine and cabinet and I've seen those for far more than you paid. The cabinet looks like it's in really great condition (and a nice machine, too!).

I think that if I found a truly pristine machine (meaning no dings, scratches -- basically never used), I wouldn't want to use it, as I'd be afraid to reduce its condition from 'mint' to 'near mint'.

Some years ago, I finally treated myself to a 4-figure wristwatch. And I never wear it because I'm afraid I'd scratch it. I may not be in poverty but that is the psychology of someone in poverty!
That can be a tough one to overcome. I think I've seen the same sort of thing with people who cover their couch in plastic to not ruin it. In the process of protecting it they lose a lot of the enjoyment they would get from it otherwise.
Collecting is different though. Part of the job of collector is caretaker where you do try to preserve the condition of whatever it is you're collecting.
I don't know that I would wear an expensive watch every day but I would take it out for special occasions.
Rodney