Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Quilting Board Journey has led me to.......

My Quilting Board Journey has led me to.......

First the Pics make the machine look much better and shinier than it really is. The lady I got it from never cleaned/restored after she bought it seven years ago; all she ever did was dust it. However, I think she used household chemicals spray between time pics took and we picked up. I have never used a treadle before and easy-peasy right off the bat! I probably paid too much for it but the cabinet, to me, is a quality piece of mission furniture. I wanted it for the treadle but now am in love with the machine. We instantly bonded, for sure. The bench the lady made herself to her leg length which happened to match mine. I probably paid too much for it but then, maybe not. I probably could have offered less but when I got right down to it, I was comfortable paying that amount. I want to sew, like yesterday and do not have time to work on restoring one so I won't be embarrassed to admit I spent $275. (I know you all would be curious but might be too polite to ask!) These pics are from the ad, not ones I took. Like I said, these pics make the machine look really good shape, which is a bit missleading. I have wanted a treadle for years but thought it would need be a mid-century machine, assuming the older ones were longer working. Alas! The Board opened my eyes. So, here I am thinking I must have only one machine that meets regular sewing/mending/quilting and thus, no straight stitch. Ha! No more. I now have my treadle, a ss and I can still have my mid-century de luxe with cams electric. Here I was talking of converting a machine from electric to treadle and I went and let you all convert me to a natural born treadle and an electric. I feel like I am having my cake and eating it, too! I must share that it was all the pics you all post of your vintage machines (electric and treadle) and how you found them and updates on restorations that got me here. Yeah, Board!

Name:  00P0P_aA0HFPGcUWm_50x50c.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  1.1 KBName:  00J0J_3JTGQXUzBxd_50x50c.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  1.1 KBName:  00K0K_143fHdMpp4U_600x450.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  40.8 KBName:  00Z0Z_3Ps7dDeplE8_50x50c.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  1.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 09-05-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: tried to enlarge tiny photos; didn't work

oops, pics did not post correctly and some missing. Ugh!

Don't feel bad about the price. My understanding is those mission tables aren't all that common and are popular. I like mission furniture and would love that table. It's a beautiful machine. Mine looks like someone in the past hit it with some windex too. I've seen other examples of people cleaning, sometimes painting machines between making the deal and the buyer showing up. They almost always do more harm than good. I hope they didn't destroy your decals because they look great in these pictures.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I just bought a machine this afternoon that would have been perfect for your conversion. I'm not sure if I'm unloading it tonight or will wait till morning but will post pictures when I do.
    Rodney

Rodney, the decals are not that great. I was disappointed when I got there and looked at pics again to see if the same machine. Yep, just missed with the shine and the beauty of the cabinet, which is in great shape. (except smells like cigarettes but I can fix that) Then I remebered I really was there first for the cabinet and the machine was the sprinkles on the cupcake, so to speak. Then...I sat down and sewed and I did not care about the decals. Although, I did get a wave of covetousness when I saw yours you acquired today. What is the serial number? Mine is FR 466124 which I don't find on any of the lists. The last patent date listed on the silver plate used to access bobbin is April 18, 1911 so we know it was after that. The pully system to pull the machine up and bring in the front panel is amazing! Outstanding engineering. The cabinet has the ruler inlaid and it is in very good condition. There is the key, original screwdrivers and all kinds of little thingies. The lady sold it as she bought it seven years ago, including all these little bonuses. Lots of bobbins. We heat with an old wood cookstove in our diningroom (yes, heats the entire house) and I am actually looking forward to sewing across the room from the stove looking out the bay window and treadling. I have had no luck, up to this point, with free motion quilting. However, after just a few minutes I tried and things are looking more hopeful. I have watched alot of videos on treadling and most seem to use two feet but this thing cruises, without me loosing control, with hardly any effort. And to think I thought I waas going to burn some colories and strengthen the leg muscles! Just runs to easy and with such little effort. The lady told me, but don't know if true, that when she bought it she was told it was still the original belt. Really? How? And the same belt is on it now. She did put a new one in the drawer for me that she bought for when the old one died but never needed it.

Banned
    Very nice, I like it. When I bought my Featherweight, before I picked it up the owner spray painted the case to "spiffy it up". He ruined it.

Cari

Well from what I can see you got a lovely machine and hear tell you are very happy with it! Sounds great to me! Congrats!
    Christy
    Starting the year out fresh

Great purchase! So glad you are happy. I don't think the price paid is never too much. If you are happy (yes) and the seller, the price is fine. go enjoy your new toy!
    😊 wilburness 😊

I agree with wilburness. You have a beautiful machine and cabinet and I've seen those for far more than you paid. The cabinet looks like it's in really great condition (and a nice machine, too!).

I think that if I found a truly pristine machine (meaning no dings, scratches -- basically never used), I wouldn't want to use it, as I'd be afraid to reduce its condition from 'mint' to 'near mint'.

Some years ago, I finally treated myself to a 4-figure wristwatch. And I never wear it because I'm afraid I'd scratch it. I may not be in poverty but that is the psychology of someone in poverty!

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    I agree with wilburness. You have a beautiful machine and cabinet and I've seen those for far more than you paid. The cabinet looks like it's in really great condition (and a nice machine, too!).

I think that if I found a truly pristine machine (meaning no dings, scratches -- basically never used), I wouldn't want to use it, as I'd be afraid to reduce its condition from 'mint' to 'near mint'.

Some years ago, I finally treated myself to a 4-figure wristwatch. And I never wear it because I'm afraid I'd scratch it. I may not be in poverty but that is the psychology of someone in poverty!
    That can be a tough one to overcome. I think I've seen the same sort of thing with people who cover their couch in plastic to not ruin it. In the process of protecting it they lose a lot of the enjoyment they would get from it otherwise.
    Collecting is different though. Part of the job of collector is caretaker where you do try to preserve the condition of whatever it is you're collecting.
    I don't know that I would wear an expensive watch every day but I would take it out for special occasions.
    Rodney

nice! I know I've paid too much for machines but so what?! they were worth it to me (well most were LOL!) it's pretty and if you can sit down and sew on it that's even better! I've gotten too many that need something done to them - much prefer to pay more and have one already working!

Yobrosew: Mine is newer than yours. Serial# FR 3255973 The last patent date on mine is June, 1913.
    Rodney

Exactly. Sewing machines are so commonly found that finding a nice one to use is easy, whereas truly collectible machines aren't easily found. As a minor, garden-variety collector, my rough scale is:

Mint -- has no visible signs of wear and is as clean as the day it was made, with standard or better attachments; works perfectly
    Near Mint -- only one or two very small nicks or scratches; works perfectly
    Excellent -- a little wear but with a shiny clear coat, all decals intact; works perfectly but perhaps needs some oil and cleaning
    Very Good -- a dull clear coat here and there, some minor decal wear but mostly shiny and clean; works well, may need adjustment
    Good -- a standard used machine with wear to the clear coat, decals, and brightwork and with some adjustment and perhaps wiring, will work just as well as a new machine
    Fair -- needs work, looks like it has been well used; may need parts
    Acceptable -- needs parts to be made whole, cosmetic condition will never be better than Fair unless completely restored; possibly a donor machine
    Doubtful -- cosmetic and working conditions are marginal; substantial work needed to run smoothly -- may never run well, will never look decent; probably best as a donor machine
    Unacceptable -- ready for the scrap heap

That's a pretty good guide. Most of mine are in the Fair range. It's part of being a bottomfeeder. I don't pay the prices necessary for truly good machines unless I just get lucky.

Yobrosew: Here's a link that may help. http://treadleon.net/WhiteSM/whites.html Here's a quote from the article:
    "If you call the Husqvarna/Viking/White company at 1 800 446-2333, they will date your machine for you." I tried calling but they're closed until Monday.
    Rodney

From very junior junior: I love your cabinet and new machine and although it was not a financial bargain, it does seem worth the price for its unusual beauty and the fact that it works! Have a lot of fun. I can't wait to get a treadle and learn how!

Quote Originally Posted by cari-in-oly View Post
    very nice, i like it. When i bought my featherweight, before i picked it up the owner spray painted the case to "spiffy it up". He ruined it.

Cari

ugh!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
    Great purchase! So glad you are happy. I don't think the price paid is never too much. If you are happy (yes) and the seller, the price is fine. go enjoy your new toy!
    Good advice. Thanks for the encouragement AND I am enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt938 View Post
    nice! I know I've paid too much for machines but so what?! they were worth it to me (well most were LOL!) it's pretty and if you can sit down and sew on it that's even better! I've gotten too many that need something done to them - much prefer to pay more and have one already working!
    It HAS been nice not having to fiddle much with it; just sew away. I do believe it has been used most of its 100+ yearts so maybe she is showing her 'wrinkles'.

Quote Originally Posted by SK Sews View Post
    From very junior junior: I love your cabinet and new machine and although it was not a financial bargain, it does seem worth the price for its unusual beauty and the fact that it works! Have a lot of fun. I can't wait to get a treadle and learn how!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I have wanted one for a very long time; just did not know I wanted an original oldie. I was picturing a 1960's machine converted to treadle, which may still happen. After hanging out here and absorbing all the information and personal histories shared, I found my inner-treadle! It will happen for you; it was worth the many year journey until I grew into the purchase. Around here Craigslist always has treadles. Keep looking. Everytime look something new is learned. Then, one day when you are not expecting it, you find something AND you have the monies at the same time. One thing I have noticed is there always comes another "just right' pristine machine. It is ok the let the "big one get away". Thanks again for the encouragement and WELCOME to the Board. Oh, and we love to see pics of machines so if you come across any neatos please share with us!