View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Charming

Very well said Jan ;-)

I made a friend once couple of things custom order but really felt the obligation to lower my price because she is my friend, but i wasn't really comfortable doing all the work for cheap. I don't regret doing it because she loved them, but i enjoyed it a lot more when i made her a quilt as a gift, because I WANTED TO GIVE!

Now i am planning on making few small quilts and posting on my website with full price of material and labor and if it sells that's great, but if not, it's mine to keep! BUT i won't ever under estimate my efforts and time.

Faten
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
If you are working for pay, it's business even if the payer/client is a friend.
A wise real estate instructor once told me, "Business is business" This is hard for some women because they do not or can not value their worth/work/creativity outside the home. Even when reminded that a friend is not some one in the family or their home, it's hard to separate their personal space or value out.

I bring this up NOT to criticize (been there myself!), but to encourage women in general to recognize they have value beyond spousing, parenting, and housekeeping, because to not doing so affects and devalues all women who are making their way by the labor of their hands and minds.

Maybe, maybe this age-old attitude is changing a bit in the younger generation of today. (It sometimes sure seems like they feel they deserve everything else handed to them!)

Jan in VA

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-11-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: to match original edited quote