View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 AM
Snooze2978

I started sewing in a small house of less than 1,000sq ft down in Florida. I swore to myself that when I moved up to Iowa I would find a house where I could set up my sewing room with lots of room to move around in so I made it top ofmy priority list. I found a house with a basement that would do that trick..............I thought. It looked large enough but I didn't realize that when you have more room you tend to add to it because you have the room. I went from a 10 ft quilt frame to a 12 ft, all my machines are on individual tables and I've enlarged my cutting table twice since I got here. Went from a 3 x 4 to a 4 x 6 and now 4 x 8. Sure takes up room but I can still move around. I also added a design wall which I never had before too. Still have some dress fabrics in totes under the quilt frame but at least my quilting fabrics are out to be viewed. I tend to live in my basement most of the day as I have a full bathroom, mini kitchen, TV/DVD, PC and Ipod for listening purposes. Why leave if I don't have to?

When I was remodeling the house prior to moving in I made sure I had ample lighting and plenty of electrical sockets. I changed out the fuse box (yes, the kind you screw in) to a circuit breaker so I could have my machines on individual circuits so not to overload them. Also added a whole house surge protector plus each machine is on their own surge protector too. Can't be too careful when it comes to our toys.