Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-24-2015, 03:10 PM

Default House space and sewing area

Im sewing in my dining / kitchen area right now because the light is so good there, but i do have an empty bedroom i could set up in, just feel out of the way in there. I have a small house, 1300 sq feet but its plenty big enough, just not using the space as well as i probably should. How big isnyour house, and where do you sew?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:29 PM

The master bedroom is my sewing room. It is the largest bedroom. The smallest bedroom is mine for sleeping. I spend a whole lot more time in the sewing room than I do awake hours in the bedroom.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 PM

When we bought this house in 2000, there was a room framed but not finished, in the basement. My DH finished the room in 2004, and it's been my sewing room ever since. After I moved all my stuff in, we realized we should have extended the room to use one entire end of the basement! My sister-in-law has turned their living room in to her sewing room. The natural lighting isn't the best, but it works for her!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:48 PM

My sewing room is the spare bedroom. Plenty of room, large window, and right next to washer and dryer.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:57 PM

My sewing room is a spare bedroom. 2 nice windows and on the main floor.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:59 PM

When we built our house we didn't have kids (and thought we wouldn't) so one spare bedroom was the office and the other spare bedroom was my craft room. 3 years later we adopted - twice! - and there went the spare bedrooms! We moved my buddy's office into the bonus room's alcove / dormer area (there's a pool table occupying the rest of the bonus room), and I was using whatever space I could find for my sewing and crafts (usually the kitchen table). I have since moved things around in our master bedroom and was able to configure a dedicated sewing area. It's cosy, but works great!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:00 PM

My sewing room is a guest room (after our kids grew up ) in the upstairs of our 1919 two story square house. I love the space, but it was hard to get used to being off the main floor...kind of felt isolated. Now I look at that as a good thing and can really get lost in my little world of fabric. Good luck with what you decide!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM

I sew all over the house except the kitchen and the baths. I have about 1800 square feet, a longarm in my den, and a treadle; there are 18 more machines in the other "spare" bedrooms, and a complete around the wall sewing center in one which contains three of my newer machines and includes two embroidery machines. There are also two other machines in there. In my other area, I have three additional machines and a serger; this room is also the home of my fabric. I have another treadle in my garage, and three more cabinet machines in my utility hallway. There are a total of four more sitting in various places throughout the house. Nearly all of them work except the last two that I bought need a bit of work. When you add in the amount of fabric and thread, accessories that I have, one would probably wonder where I fit in in this space. The answer is, I fit in pretty well!
I really need to add a couple more rooms on so I can spread out a bit more!
My favorite thing is to tell my kids how much fun they'll have when I'm gone!!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Whatever size/room you make it your own.. I had a closet space in 1st house, and made it work.. Moved to 2nd house, with 3 floors, basement is what I chose, yet winter can be colder, so at times in the middle of the room. Where outside lighting in best..
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM

It sounds like everyone has a designated sewing room, which is great, keeping everything in one place. Jackie, having your washer and dryer right next to you must be really handy! I have some organizing and re-thinking my space to do. I do like being in the kitchen though, just having to put stuff away gets to be a little tricky. My spare room has a small window and feels very dark to me even though the walls are white, there isn't much natural light in there.