Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 PM

Our house is 1500 sq ft. I have one of our 3 bedrooms as a sewing/guest room (although we rarely, if ever use it for that purpose). It is upstairs as is our laundry so convenient from that perspective. I machine piece and hand quilt. I do all my machine work upstairs when hubs is either working or gone otherwise. Evenings I hand quilt in the LR while hubs is home and we're watching TV. Can just shut the door to the room upstairs and don't need to worry about what it looks like. Works for me.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 PM

My sewing room is my dining room. When working on a project, I will leave it out, but have become very adept at cleaning up quickly...mats and rulers on the side of the china hutch, threads and small misc. in a double sided tackle box, and fabric in totes just outside the dining room on the porch. Machine goes into carry case. Not the most convenient, but works for me!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM

My sewing room is in the basement. I did this even though I could have used a spare bedroom. I like that I can leave the process behind in what ever state and it's not in eye sight on the main living space. The bonus is I have expanded to consume more of the basement. Maybe that's not so good... maybe being confined would have curbed my stash accumulation.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
It sounds like everyone has a designated sewing room, which is great, keeping everything in one place. Jackie, having your washer and dryer right next to you must be really handy! I have some organizing and re-thinking my space to do. I do like being in the kitchen though, just having to put stuff away gets to be a little tricky. My spare room has a small window and feels very dark to me even though the walls are white, there isn't much natural light in there.
I have a small bedroom space that is my sewing area, but to be honest, I branch out as I need to. I will cut fabric on the bed in the other room, or use the floor in the kitchen area to square the quilt before binding. I sometimes feel too isolated in that bedroom and like to move out in the main areas of the house. Do what makes you comfortable.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 PM

Right now I am using the dining room in our 1400sqft townhouse. It's attached to the living room so I can see DH while he plays video games and bug him for opinions You are right- those big ole chandeliers are GREAT for sewing and I like the dining table height for cutting. I know it's probably bad for my back, but I like the leverage I get. We are moving this summer to a 4000 sqft house we just got a contract on. I am planning to move my sewing room to one of the spare bedrooms- about 13x14ft. I have to admit I'll be a little bummed to not be in the main living space anymore. I like having some spouse time while I sew and he is good with color. I was considering making the "bonus room" into a multipurpose room. We planned to put a big TV up there. I was thinking of making a little sewing corner so I could move my machine in if I want to spend some quality hubby time while crafting. We shall see.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 PM

We live in a 1904 old farmhouse that we are remodeling. It is 2 stories and the
first remodel was to setup quilting space for me. I have 2 rooms upstairs. One
has my sewing machines, cutting table and drawer units to store stuff. And in
the second room I have my longarm quilting machine and my husband built in
shelve units around the room where I keep all of my fabric. It has worked out
really great for me and I have all of my fabric organized according to color.
Even with both rooms I still have them both filled but at least it is organized for
the most part.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
My sewing room is the spare bedroom. Plenty of room, large window, and right next to washer and dryer.
Same here, plus I have a door to the back yard to let my little dog out to wee.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 PM

1800 I think but I cut in my dining room and sew in a small corner of my master bedroom, but my aunt and brother live with me so not many options. I do sew with my baby in the family room since she is currently sharing her room until 1 1/2 more years
Old 02-24-2015, 10:29 PM

Before we adopted two years ago we sewed in the dining room and had the quilt frame in a spare bedroom. Our stash was stored in approximately 58 different places in tote bins. When we got Emmaline we needed the bedroom and dining room back, so we closed in our garage, added kitchen cabinets, and had an island built out of base cabinets to cut and press on. All of our fabric is now ruler folded and stored neatly and visibly in the cabinets.

Our new space works well, though now we rarely have time to make quilts.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Power Poster

Our house is about 1400 square feet and I am using one of the spare bedrooms. It is now known as "my room," small (11x11) but it works. If we ever get company, they are welcome to sleep in the camper or they can get a hotel.