Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM

When we bought the house 21 years ago, the "basement" wasn't finished. We had it finished to be an in-law apartment, in the event that our parents ever needed to come here. It has a table-space kitchen, full bath, laundry room, bedroom and living room. It is ground-level, and has 7 large windows and 2 doors with windows, so a lot of natural light. The bedroom section is a gym/design room/cutting area, and houses my two old sewing machines with their cabinets. The living room is the quilting studio, with my main sewing machine and long-arm. The kitchen is the embroidery station. The bathroom has a huge wall-to-wall closet which houses the fabrics that don't fit in the kitchen cabinets and other rooms. The basement is 1,500 square feet...all mine for my quilting/embroidery (although DH comes down to visit occasionally--there is a rocking chair for him).
Old 02-24-2015, 04:38 PM

I sew in the dining room. I have some a available rooms upstairs but they are not as convenient to everything else. So I just pack everything up whenever anyone is coming over.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Im sewing in my dining / kitchen area right now because the light is so good there, but i do have an empty bedroom i could set up in, just feel out of the way in there. I have a small house, 1300 sq feet but its plenty big enough, just not using the space as well as i probably should. How big isnyour house, and where do you sew?
Our little casita is only 1210 sq feet and is also big enough. The dining room is my sewing room. The lighting is good and my floor quilting (Grace EZ3) frame fits. The dining room table is my cutting/sewing table and I have an old fashion pie safe that stores my WIPs, threads & rulers, etc. Since I'm mostly a hand piecer/quilter I also will bring my hand work into the master bedroom, which has an extra storage closet where my stash lives. Love my little house.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:09 PM

Although i have one of our spare bedrooms set up as my craft space (mostly fabric and supply storage), I have an open concept kitchen /family room - and my sewing spot is in the area between the two rooms. I have great light - can watch TV - and still chat with my DH in the evening...my machine is fairly quiet....but when something really good is on, it's amazing how much sewing you can get done during the zillion 5 minute commercials!! In the daytime, i get the benefit of the good light, and can listen to the TV while i sew if i want. My sewing table is the one i got at Walmart - it has wheels - and once i'm done for the night i can close it up and put everything away...or not.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 PM

We have a 1500 sq ft house and 3 bedrooms. One of the extra bedrooms is my sewing and computer room. It is pretty crowded but I make do. I have a bookcase in the hall were I keep Quilting books and magazines. I have Ikea cabinets in my sewing room with all my Fabric and patterns and other misc. I keep large rolls of batting in the garage.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM

I would love to see pictures of everyones sewing spaces ! they all sound so wonderful ! Sync, I love the idea of an old fashioned pie safe to stash stuff in I have to figure out a way to clean up fast when company comes over, and was thinking of one of those rolling carts. I may just stay put in the kitchen area, I like that I can make tea and cook while Im sewing.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: per member request
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM

When our 3 kids were growing up, I sewed on the dining room table. That room was always an embarrassment because, being an old farmhouse, it was the room one had to walk through to get anyplace in the house. When oldest got married 5 years ago and the 2 youngest were in college, I moved my sewing into an upstairs bedroom. It worked well except I did feel a little 'set apart' from the main area of the house. Last fall we bought the very new home across the road from our farm. We went from 1500 to 3200 sq feet. One of the things I love about this house is the huge bonus room over the garage that is my new sewing room! I have a big tv in there and, since DH is away a lot for work, I'm enjoying my room very much. All 3 kids are married now and the 2 youngest both live out of state. Those extra bedrooms come in handy when they are home to visit and I love being able to just shut the door on my sewing room. I would say, sew where you feel the most comfortable!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM

I feel so blessed to have my own sewing space. This sewing space is a bit smaller than my last but between my wonderful hubby and I we have gotten the maximum out every square inch! It is simply a converted bedroom 11.5 x 12', with nothing special done to the room except a 5 tier storage shelf in the closet to hold my fabric stash. When I walk in that room I feel like I am in my own world. I painted it pale pink last year my favorite color, and have my favorite things on pretty shelves, an Embroidered Sun Bonnet Sue Valance, pretty roses cascading around the window, closet and door. It really is a reflection of all things I love. I have an 11' long sewing table with 4 sets of Ikea drawers that keeps everything perfectly organized. My hubby built my cutting table, it is 5.5'x6' supported by a set of 2 cubicles each with 9 cubbies which have fabric drawers that slide in with everything organized within. Organization is key for me to keep me sane in my special place. I don't think I could be any happier in my sewing room, it reflects all things I love and is sew cozy!! Here is a link to my postings of my room if you are interested.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...c-t242468.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t232092.html

Last edited by Divokittysmom; 02-24-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:32 PM

Small house and I sew in my diningroom. Frustrating so I am trying to get my small storage upstairs room clean and organized so I can quilt up there. I will probably die before I get it done.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My living room has no comfy furniture - it is my designated quilting studio.
The end of my kitchen has an area that contains my recliner, the TV, and a side table -- my "living" room.

Jan in VA