Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-26-2015, 02:35 PM

There are only 2 of us and 3 bedrooms. One is the master bedroom, one is my husband's office and the third is for guests. We have that set up with a sofa bed, a desk with my computer and I have a very large cabinet that is really made for a computer. One side of it has a pull down table on which I set my sewing machine. My serger sits inside the cabinet unless I need that also. When I am doing FMQ, I set up a separate table that is large. My husband made me a quilting table with styrofoam insulation boards cut out for my machine and heavy duty plastic on top on which my quilts move easily. The closet in this room is fabric, more fabric in any other place I can put it plus there is a large closet in the basement that has more fabrics but mostly non quilting stuff. I love my space. I have a tv if I want to watch or listen and 2 windows. It is bright and cheerful.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:02 PM

I am pretty lucky I have a large room that is 15x22 So I have lots of room. Problem is only one small windoe so the light stinks. I have to use the overhead and several lamps and it is cold in the winter since it is on the lower level but a space heater helps a lot. All in all I can't complain. My daughter recently took up sewing and also quilting a bit and she has a small condo so she has to use the dining area table. She lives 1800 miles away so she can't "drop by" and use mine
Old 02-26-2015, 04:32 PM

My downstairs family room is now is my sewing room since the kids are gone. It is 24x24. My hubby gets a space along a wall for his airplane stuff. I have 2 sewing machines sent up. One I use to peice and one when quilting so I usually have 2 projects going. I have a large cutting table (48x80 inches). There is a love seat and recliner in one corner. Don't use the fireplace as hubby uses it charge batteries for his airplanes as it could spark and cause a fire.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:11 PM

I sew and iron in almost every room. This is a really big old farm house which "had" a living room and parlor. But I put an apartment upstairs, so I only have the downstairs. Basement is a ? ? ? cellar.
I have a guest/office/sewing room which I use most of the time, but in the winter or if there is a good show on TV, I sew on a table in the living room. My 301 and the treadle are in the kitchen.

Last edited by maviskw; 02-26-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 PM

I had to wait until most of my 7 children moved out to get my sewing room. It's just a spare bedroom but it works for me. My husband wanted it for his man cave but I held firm and said you can have the smaller room downstairs thank you very much!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 PM

We have 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms in our 2200sqft house but my DH has 3 kids that come visit every other weekend so they all have their own rooms. Right now we are working on rearranging the guest bedroom so that when I get my own sewing machine in May I will have somewhere to put it. Have to switch out the queen bed for a twin size day bed and get some kind of counter or desk. Right now I am using the dining room table which seats 12 and is pub height to do all my piecing and pinning and then taking everything to my Grandma's about 5 minutes away to sew everything together. She has her sewing machine on a small table in a guest room. The light is great but the table does not have enough room to take the weight of a quilt (which I found when trying to border my current project.)The light in my diing room is much better than in guest room because of picture window and large light fixture so I may just drag everything to back to the dining room for the light.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM

If your room is dingy feeling, add some florescent lights or Daylight lamps. There are several out there now that are not nearly as expensive as Ott, but do just as well. I took an extra bedroom in our house for my sewing room because it faces the south and always had a lot of light. That is until the Oak tree out there got so big it shades the windows, and DH built an outdoor kitchen on that side of the house that blocks the afternoon sun. Lots of daylight lamps for me