View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 07:40 AM
w1613s

When we finally had the house squared up (originally L-shaped; finally square with inside court), the original, railroad car shaped kitchen with a corner sink, corner windows (over the sink, natch), and 19 running feet of tile counter tops, back splashes, under cabinet lighting, and cabinets became my sewing room. The spot that used to be for the range is, complete with tile backsplash, the site of my double sewing center. The cabinet doors came off, no refrig. or dinette any more. That space is filled, floor to ceiling, with a substantial wood production of DH's. Don't know what to call it. There are shelves for bins close to the ceiling. Next layer down is a substantial book shelf for sewing/quilting books. There are two nooks at the lowest level: my grandmother's Singer 403 and my other grandmother's wonderful treadle reside there.

One of my favorite things about the kitchen/sewing room Frankenstein is all the electrical outlets. Also, I am one of the ones who is hooked on ease of use and re-use, bottom lines, and reconfiguration. This place does it all for me. And I can put hangers, etc. anywhere I want them. Sometimes it's like sewing in an inside out Christmas tree. Sorry, this set-up is ugly and usually messy; but, wow, does it work. And it's quiet.

May every one of us sew in a place that suits them and makes them happy.

Pat