View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 06:38 AM
Sewnoma

I keep needing (and taking) more and more space! I used to sew on a table in the master bedroom. Then DH & I relocated and for nearly a year I was living in an apartment in the new town while he was still in our house in our old town, so I took advantage of my temporary bachelorette lifestyle and got a 2bd apartment with one room as a dedicated sewing room and I became hooked on having dedicated space and also hooked on quilting. We eventually bought a 1800 sq foot house and that's what we're in now. At first I had one of the spare bedrooms (10x10) as my sewing room but I rapidly outgrew that space. I couldn't convince DH to let me have the whole master bedroom (which is really oversized) but instead he let me take over the living room, which is about 14 x 16. We have a family room that is "his" room, and now the living room is "my" room! My upstairs room is now my art studio (I draw, paint & sculpt polyclay as well) which is a nice division and since those are my more messy projects it's good that they're all upstairs out of sight.

My living room sewing room is getting packed too though. I have my "big" quilting machine (Janome 6600) set up in an "L" with another table, plus a cabinet with an old Kenmore set up, plus another desk with my embroidery machine. Also a cutting table and another table I need to finish covering to make it my ironing surface. One wall is lined with IKEA "Billy" bookcases with doors and that does pretty well concealing my stash. Most of another wall is a big design wall, about 8 feet wide by higher than I can reach. I REALLY need to stop accumulating old machines though, almost every surface in that room is now covered with old machines. It's a little out of control! I need to either destash some fabric and make room for the machines in the cabinets, or let go of a few machines. I don't want to do either, though! I need to just hurry up and sew up about fifty quilts and make space in the cabinets that way, LOL.