View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 05:58 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Tothill
I have to comment on this as a woman who has suffered from IBS for decades. I am careful about what I eat for my own sake. I work in an office environment and do not want to be known for being gassy or running to the loo every 15 minutes.

But when the IBS flares up and it can at a moments notice, I am embarrassed and try to leave the company of other people. If I spent my life worrying that I may or may not have the runs or gas, I would never leave the house.

So maybe be a bit more gentle in your criticism, I know it is not pleasant, but it is not like she has doused herself in strong perfume.
Tothill, you're right, I was a little insensitive. I apologize for that. I will mention that the classes we've attended together included meals and that she avoided none of known trigger foods. I was on an elimination diet to see if I could "fix" some tummy issues a few years ago and the doctor suggested that IBS might be a possibility so I am familiar with the diet. It's possible that she's afflicted and doesn't know how to deal with it yet.

ETA: I should add - I would genuinely like to know how someone with this affliction would least be embarrassed though if they were approached. Ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't work well when others are bothered by the situation.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 03-06-2015 at 06:07 PM.