Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
for quilting instructors - >

for quilting instructors -

for quilting instructors -

Old 03-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Default for quilting instructors -

What classroom behavior is frustrating/annoying/disruptive to you and/or the other students while attempting to teach a class?

Maybe I shoild reword it -

What is your " ideal" class ( student) behavior like?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Repeatedly talking among themselves while I'm trying to teach or demonstrate!
Being a little clique of 2 or 3 off to the side and not interacting *at all* with the other class members.
Refusing to bring any of the requested tools/fabric to class and expecting me to make the best of it. (which I usually do but find it rude and annoying inside myself!)

All that aside, I enjoy classes where there are lots of questions and free interaction. I want students to feel they have gotten more than their money's worth!

Jan in VA
Old 03-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Yep, people talking when I am trying to listen to the instructor. People who don't come prepared for a class and ask to borrow my stuff.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM

People who do not understand how their machine operates or how to do the basics like dropping feed dogs, changing tension, even changing feet. I was at a FMQ class and two of the six were almost completely unfamiliar with their machines. The instructor spent most of her time helping them cope. The class was not cheap and I really felt like I did not get my money's worth. (But it might have been the instructor too. She knew most of the other students personally, and I felt very much the 'outsider')
Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

GingerK ... ITA ... it's not always the students that are the "issue" to a successful class, or a disappointing one. I too have felt as the outsider with the teacher-student clique ... and then too much reference to previous classes, inside jokes, and assumptions that everyone has the same background as the clique! (eg. this was taught in the previous class, etc.)

Also ... instructors that do not come prepared or are not qualified to teach the course ... have not read the pattern and notes since the last class two years ago ... do not have irons/boards set up and waiting to be used ... tell you to cut fabric a certain size, and then later say, oh sorry, that was wrong.

Yup ... all happened ... in one class!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:59 PM

I don't take classes because I do not want to work on my projects with a group. I don't know why? I feel intimidated or something is wrong. I did take a class at my quilting guild and took my machine and everything, however there was a lady I know who only sews and does not quilt and she came and sat right next to me to watch me. She talked about how much thread I was wasting and she is a big women and she was always in my way. She always has a better way to do stuff and tells the same stories, over and over. I cannot get away from her. I wish I could get over that. The only class I was going to take I read online what I was suppose to do and I tried to do the quilt way ahead so I would not have to be nervous. How can I get over this Phobia?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:05 PM

One student invariably wants to finish first and turns the project into a race. This causes panic among the slower quilters and ruins the fun of the class for those who are not as fast. And usually the fast one also does sloppy work but doesn't care, as long as she finishes first.

I taught a lovely sewing class on Saturdays but this one aggressive, obnoxious person ruined it and I gave up my teaching the class because I was going to embarrass myself and her if I continued.

Last edited by Michellesews; 03-03-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:37 PM

I actually have another beef: There was a typo on the classes sheet that this particular LQS emailed. I phoned and booked the class, showed up on the 'supposedly' appropriate day, was told in a rather 'you should have known' way, that the class had been held 4 days earlier and was always held on a Monday. Then there was a sort of 'Oh sorry, I did mean to call you about the typo' kind of sort of apology. I went away disappointed and frustrated. I had spent money and time to get there (they were NOT next door!!) and a quick email or call would have been so much appreciated. I have only ever taken that one class at that LQS and they have lost my business.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:37 PM

LIke Suzanne, I really don't care to do projects with groups. It seems that most classes I've attended (of all kinds throughout the years) have had various issues already discussed, with the clique problem being the worst. My most effective learning is self-paced from home, either by watching/reading tutorials online or by taking Craftsy classes. With the Craftsy classes, the instructors I like best have voices that are pleasant (Edyta Sitar is my favorite), are obviously interested/excited to be teaching their topic (Kimberly Einmo comes to mind), and emphasize that perfection is not to be expected without a lot of practice (Angela Walters is great at this). I did take a class from an instructor whose voice was so droning that I could only get to the middle of the second lesson before I gave up. Occasionally an instructor will spend a little too much time on background information, or on figuring out which way to place their pieces to make the block come out right. I find the latter especially annoying, as it often demonstrates a lack of preparedness that may carry through the entire class.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:40 PM

The most frustrating thing that happened to me as an instructor, was to have students who come when I'm trying to set-up the classroom, and expect me to help them pick out fabric and cut it for them. My set-up time is important for the whole class. A student who comes un-prepared, and expects everyone else to wait while they take the instructors time, is not alright.

My best classes are ones where I can get there half an hour early, and get set-up without students needing my attention until class starts. I love it when students bring what is on the supply list, and have come to learn. I understand that for some, going to a class is like a girls night out, and they want to socialize. But don't monopolize the time with chit-chat. Other students are there to learn, and can't if the teacher can't get a word in.

Class is not the time or place to air your dirty laundry or talk about controversial subjects (student or instructor).

Students and instructors both need to be patient. Some students have more cognitive abilities than others. Some will need more attention from the teacher or from other students. It's great when students help and encourage each other.

Don't come if you're sick enough to get someone else sick.

Be comfortable, ask questions and have fun. Treat others with respect.

I try to bring chocolate and water for everyone. And it's important to have a professional, clearly written handout or pattern, and know it's every detail.