Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
for quilting instructors - >

for quilting instructors -

for quilting instructors -

Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
Interesting topic. As a student I am annoyed with someone (other than the instructor) who knows EVERYTHING and wants to teach the class.
I'm in agreement on this one,
Old 03-04-2015, 02:16 AM

Somehow, I always happen to get seated next to the one person in the classroom who doesn't understand what the instructor has just said, and she asks me what was said. I then miss what is being said next. Next class I take, I'm playing dumb too, and I'll just ask the instructor to repeat what she has said for all of us.....
Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 AM

Jan in VA, that is such a lovely story of your student, and how her quilting passion blossomed !
Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
Interesting topic. As a student I am annoyed with someone (other than the instructor) who knows EVERYTHING and wants to teach the class.
Came across someone like this at a retreat. Even when everyone was asked to keep questions etc. until after the instructor had finished, this woman jumped in before the instructor on each and every step. It was frustrating for the instructor as well as the people wanting to learn. This woman would also walk around and look at everyone's work then proceed to tell them they were doing it wrong. Most annoying person. She did this at each retreat (we go each year) which upset a lot of people. Pig ignorant in my book.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
My favorite part of teaching is seeing the light come on in a student's eyes, that "aha" moment when a technique makes sense and opens a whole new world to them.

Jan in VA
this is my favorite part of teaching, too. i love seeing the light come on
Old 03-04-2015, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
Y'all have made me very nervous. I am signed up for my first class the end of this month. I don't do well in large groups of people so that is strike one. Strike two is that part of the quilt block is paper pieced. I talked to the instructor and told her that I have never done pp before. She said that I will be alright that the other people in the class will know how to do it and that will free up time for her to help me. Strike three, that will make me one of the slow students that seem to cause others frustration. I don't want to be the reason someone doesn't enjoy their class. I guess I am afraid that the instructor is just trying to fill up her class with me now. I am going to watch some pp videos on Youtube and try it out at home and see how quickly I catch on. If I get really frustrated in this class it is going to cause me to have a "set back". I really like this quilt it is called "Christmas Pickle". I intend to come to the class completely prepared. The quilt looks very intricate but it is really one block done over and over. What do you think?
i think your attitude is good! i'm sure you'll do alright. there are a couple of different methods of pp'ing, so you might contact the instructor for which method is going to be used/taught so you can watch the right video's and/or ask here. lots of my quilting friends take classes and don't finish the project there. we all help each other afterwards at our weekly bees. one recent class... the teaching didn't come anywhere near finishing in the allotted time and rescheduled a 3 hour finishing class with no extra charge.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 AM

One nightmare I had in a class I was teaching...when you sign up for my class, I give you a list of supplies and how to prepare them, I suggest you have them cut out and ready to sew if you expect to complete the project in class. I had two friends come in and hadn't even bought their fabric so they shopped while I started the class and then they took an hour break for lunch and then complained at the end of the day because there was no way to finish this project in just one class!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:49 AM

My problem has been a student who signs up for the class, takes copious notes, takes any 'extra' supplies or handouts etc. and starts teaching the same class at a local LQS! Sure surprised me the first time!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:10 AM

I don't take a lot of classes, but have been an instructor as well as a student. What gets on my nerves are students and/or instructors who take up way too much time with personal anecdotes while we all sit around waiting for the next instruction. Been to classes for several hours when, if we could just stick to the subject, could have been done in half the time. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but sometimes a little moderation is in order.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
Y'all have made me very nervous. I am signed up for my first class the end of this month. I don't do well in large groups of people so that is strike one. Strike two is that part of the quilt block is paper pieced. I talked to the instructor and told her that I have never done pp before. She said that I will be alright that the other people in the class will know how to do it and that will free up time for her to help me. Strike three, that will make me one of the slow students that seem to cause others frustration. I don't want to be the reason someone doesn't enjoy their class. I guess I am afraid that the instructor is just trying to fill up her class with me now. I am going to watch some pp videos on Youtube and try it out at home and see how quickly I catch on. If I get really frustrated in this class it is going to cause me to have a "set back". I really like this quilt it is called "Christmas Pickle". I intend to come to the class completely prepared. The quilt looks very intricate but it is really one block done over and over. What do you think?
Just go to the class with expectations. PP is not that hard after you do it once or twice. That's what the instructor is there for. It's fun. You just have to wrap your brain around a different procedure. It works.
Good luck to you!