Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
for quilting instructors - >

for quilting instructors -

for quilting instructors -

Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM

I start my classes on time. I have a note with the sign up forms that says if you want help purchasing supplies, come a half hour early and I will help you, but I will not delay the class. When students start chatting (not just a little comment), I stop and wait for them to stop. This usually embarrasses them and they tend to be more quiet. I also tend to layer my teaching to their skill. While I emphasize the importance of 1/4" seams, I work with newbies on how to square up an imperfect block. I feel it is more important for them to enjoy the process. Skill level will improve with practice..+
Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 PM

I too have taken a number of classes with all the above issues. If I may I would like to add one more. Due to some hearing loss ~ I do wear hearing aids ~ I am more of a visual learner. The best classes for me or ones where the instructor uses visual and verbal directions. I recently took a class where the instructor spoke so fast I found myself trying to see when she took a breath. Thankfully she provided a handout that helped me guess what she was saying.
I have found this board to be the best class I could ask for. Thank you all.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM

I have not taught quilting classes but I have taught sewing classes. I agree with all of the above! One thing that comes to mind is the student who wants to be totally different when the goals of the class was already set. An example: the class I was teaching was at a fabric store to adult beginning sturdnts. One woman arrived late, went to the front of the store to PURCHASE A MACHINE. Came in late with a "bottom of the line" machine that she didn't know the first thing about. I asked her to stay after class so I could catch her up on what "she had missed (identifying parts of the machine, inserting a needle, loading the bobbin, practicing sewing straight seams, etc)." There was a choice of two patterns for them to choose which covered the same basic skills. She did choose one of those patterns bu,t instead of purchasing fabric that was within the guidelines, she purchased home dec fabric that was wider and had a one-way design. Problems arose when it came time to laying out the pattern on the fabric. So, again, special attention and more "advanced techniques" instruction was needed. Stayed after class for more one-on-one. And so it went for the whole course. The further we got into the course, the more she made excuses why she wasn't succeeding and was so far behind. She did a lot of chatter while others sewed. Also got up to go into the store to purchase supplies. Didn't come to the last class and called to see if I would consider allowing her to come to my home for another lesson. I did!! Big mistake. She ended up displeased. She did pay me for my time. But she never did finish the project. I saw her a few years later and she told me that she had never opened her machine again and had not finished the project.

Last edited by GailG; 03-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Conartist1945 View Post
I'm in agreement on this one,
This is what I was talking about! Very rude!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 PM

As others have said, this is really an interesting and eye-opening thread.

I agree with sewwhat85's post #31. I recognized myself in some of the complaints (color me embarrassed!) but hopefully not too bad. And I too promise "I will be a better student."

Also, onebyone's comment (post #33) is great. I think the idea of a Do's and Don'ts handout is a viable one and to also go over it at the beginning of class.

I have been in classes where people, even though it was requested that cell phones be turned off, still felt that their conversations were of vital importance not only to them but to everyone in the class. Thankfully the teachers handled this problem in both classes by politely asking the people to take their conversation outside the classroom.

I have taken several classes also where either fabric was to be brought and traded with others so we could get more different colors/tones. There is usually at least one person who has brought really cheap fabric and has tried to trade it for better quality fabric. One lady, even though it was not a "trade around" class, still tried to do it. The lady next to me told her politely that she needed all the fabric in her quilt to be of the same quality so that when she washed it there would not be a problem. She didn't say anything about the quality of the lady's fabric versus her own. I thought this was a very diplomatic way of addressing the issue.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Everything you have listed is what I would of listed.......as a high school teacher I can see so much of this going on in my class room sometimes too and that is expected most times.
Robinlee

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The most frustrating thing that happened to me as an instructor, was to have students who come when I'm trying to set-up the classroom, and expect me to help them pick out fabric and cut it for them. My set-up time is important for the whole class. A student who comes un-prepared, and expects everyone else to wait while they take the instructors time, is not alright.

My best classes are ones where I can get there half an hour early, and get set-up without students needing my attention until class starts. I love it when students bring what is on the supply list, and have come to learn. I understand that for some, going to a class is like a girls night out, and they want to socialize. But don't monopolize the time with chit-chat. Other students are there to learn, and can't if the teacher can't get a word in.

Class is not the time or place to air your dirty laundry or talk about controversial subjects (student or instructor).

Students and instructors both need to be patient. Some students have more cognitive abilities than others. Some will need more attention from the teacher or from other students. It's great when students help and encourage each other.

Don't come if you're sick enough to get someone else sick.

Be comfortable, ask questions and have fun. Treat others with respect.

I try to bring chocolate and water for everyone. And it's important to have a professional, clearly written handout or pattern, and know it's every detail.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

After reading this thread I don't think I want to take any classes or go to any retreats! I think I'll be much happier just quilting by myself, as I always have done.

What an 'eye opener'!
Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
I can't resist jumping in here---so many You Tube teachers go through blah, blah, blah before even getting started. I just want to learn the "how to" and not hear all the reasons why I need to know.

Except for one video that I watched. A young man was making a "Crazy Quilt" and the video started with him sewing the first blocks. Very little dialogue, and every word he said was important to me. I loved it. Went back and watched parts of it over again. No blah, blah.
One nice thing about videos, you can fast-forward to what you want to know about, and "fast" both ways to repeat something you have a question about. No one else cares.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
After reading this thread I don't think I want to take any classes or go to any retreats! I think I'll be much happier just quilting by myself, as I always have done. What an 'eye opener'!
Sorry we made you feel that way. Most classes are really fun, so try one before you give up on classes.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I have been in classes where there is always one person who is so negative about everything they do ( they think they fail at everything but really they just haven't tried enough) and the teacher and students spend all their time sweet talking this whoever through the entire time. I do hope these people eventually find their joy.
peace