Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
for quilting instructors - >

for quilting instructors -

for quilting instructors -

Old 03-04-2015, 06:21 AM

I take a lot of classes and even teach a few. As I read the post I found myself saying guilty, sometimes guilty, surely I don't do that do I, guilty. I just want to say I am sorry to all of my fellow classmates and instructors. I will be a better student. I will be a better student. I will be a better student.(I cant remember how many times I was supposed to write that on the board.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 AM

I went to a class in which I was told to cut some pieces 3 3/8 inches. I asked if it would be OK if I cut them 3 1/2 inches. I was told by the instructor (and several of the students) No, they need to be 3 3/8. After I had the blocks done, I soooo wished I had had that little extra on there. I have since made another like that, and the extra 1/8 inch made a big difference in being able to square up the block. Sometimes we have to go with our gut.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

When I taught a community quilt class open to the public I had a big sign that had Do's and Don'ts for the class members. I had to be very specific as in Do not ask to borrow from other class members, ask instructor for what you need. It was the only way I could corral every type person that showed up. I wish the instructor gave out a Do and Don't list with the class ad. Most don't need it but it only takes one to ruin the class for someone.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

When I taught, I appreciate students having their supplies purchased and a DSM in clean working order.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:45 AM

This is an interesting thread as I have really been struggling with classes offered by my LQS and guild. I don't enjoy them. Feel like I'm really odd, but here goes. First teaching to me is giving instruction, tips, info etc., not just bringing a pattern and sewing on it with no real teaching. This happens repeatedly in my area and frequently the "teacher" is only pushing their own pattern, product or whatever. I feel like I'm being exploited and paying for the privilege.

Someone mentioned the cliques etc. This seems to happen frequently when the "teacher" knows some of the members. It's reunion time for them while the majority shut up and try to follow the pattern. No attempt is made to include folks who are quiet, timid, inexperienced and so on. I've really tried to assimilate these gals, but unless others help they usually just drop out. This is really a huge pet peeve of mine. Some of these folks were really nice but just never could fit in for some reason.

Finally there always seems to be at least one person who comes unprepared so we end up waiting for them to get up to speed. You know the situation. Forgot key tools, want to borrow, come late, etc. "Teacher" spends so much time with them that others get no attention.

Thanks for letting me vent. As I said this is a topic which has really bothered me lately.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM

Default clauses

Would have to say, yes, I've experienced "all of the above comments" on this thread which is why I stopped taking classes years ago. Before Christmas this year one of the small towns near by opened an expensive yarn shop. alone so, even though I knew how have one for Christmas as would the other three girl's in the family so I signed up for the class.. just because Bought the chunky wool required at $22.00 a skein, circular needles, etc.

Last edited by Wonnie; 03-04-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: hit "post" in error before I was finished with my comment...sorry
Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 AM

Please disregard all my comments above with the exception of the first sentence!!!! After rereading what I had written so far and trying to get rid of all the incorrect words and punctuation that was ANTICIPATED by auto spell or whatever it's called (!), I accidentally hit "post" and it did!!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:09 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I don't take a lot of classes, but have been an instructor as well as a student. What gets on my nerves are students and/or instructors who take up way too much time with personal anecdotes while we all sit around waiting for the next instruction. Been to classes for several hours when, if we could just stick to the subject, could have been done in half the time. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but sometimes a little moderation is in order.
I can't resist jumping in here---so many You Tube teachers go through blah, blah, blah before even getting started. I just want to learn the "how to" and not hear all the reasons why I need to know.

Except for one video that I watched. A young man was making a "Crazy Quilt" and the video started with him sewing the first blocks. Very little dialogue, and every word he said was important to me. I loved it. Went back and watched parts of it over again. No blah, blah.

Oh well, I know we women have a lot to say!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
I can't resist jumping in here---so many You Tube teachers go through blah, blah, blah before even getting started. I just want to learn the "how to" and not hear all the reasons why I need to know.
!
I'm possibly (probably) one of those instructors. I do this because some people learn a topic easier / better if they understand the why and the how, rather than just the how. I'm one of those learners and struggled a lot in school because of it. As an instructor, one of the most delicate balancing points is how to teach a topic. Everyone learns differently so how do you present it so that everyone has the best chance at learning. Even then you do get the odd student that it bounces off of anyway.

My teaching topic is not quilting though, it's sewing machine maintenance and repair so I feel that the theory is very important so the topic can be applied to machines other than the one I'm demonstrating on.

The great part about a Youtube video is not only can you watch over and over but you can skip what you're not interested in.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Also happened to me but only it was cancelled and rescheduled. I never got the email and said I was not going to be able to attend on the rescheduled date. They tried to tell me the money was not refundable. Told them I would contact the better business bureau and take them to small claims since it involved a "brand" machine. I would also let the distributor know about it. They gave me my money back and tried to say it was going to be difficult on the rest of the class. Too bad, soo sad. The class was $150.00 mainly to pay for the instructor and I get that but they did the rescheduling not me. I also won't tolerate bullies in any class. I let them know johnny on the spot. Nip it in the bud.
Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I actually have another beef: There was a typo on the classes sheet that this particular LQS emailed. I phoned and booked the class, showed up on the 'supposedly' appropriate day, was told in a rather 'you should have known' way, that the class had been held 4 days earlier and was always held on a Monday. Then there was a sort of 'Oh sorry, I did mean to call you about the typo' kind of sort of apology. I went away disappointed and frustrated. I had spent money and time to get there (they were NOT next door!!) and a quick email or call would have been so much appreciated. I have only ever taken that one class at that LQS and they have lost my business.