Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM
zozee

1. You love your sewing and have proven that it's not a passing fancy.
2. You have the cash for it, so this won't be a debt that you or your family will be paying for.
3. You have done your research. (Have you checked out the Brother machines? Same machines, but BabyLocks have a higher price tag, from what I've gathered.). So clearly you are not impulsive.
4. What is it about the laser light and electronic pen attracted you? How often do you think you'd use them?
5. Have you test driven a lot of machines in that price range? Is the Crescendo the most user friendly?
6. Do you like the BL dealer? You'll be establishing a sales and service relationship so that's a big consideration.

I like the the math that bearisgray figured out. Less than A dollar a day for your hobby is cheaper than a cup of coffee at the local cafe! However, many electronic components wear out in 10 years so consider that it's not a mechanical Kenmore by any means in terms of longevity.

In your shoes, I'd get the most machine I could afford that does everything I need and lot of what I want, but I wouldn't get more than that. The more bells and whistles it has, the more things can go wrong.