Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Feather3

Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
Hi everyone. I just started chemo on tuesday for breast cancer and my friend and I have been looking on line for free patterns for some hats to keep my head covered and protected for the summer. I want something like a bandana kerchief style to let air in and just basically keep my head covered and cool. Saw a pattern at Joann's by McCalls but have gone THREE times and it is never in stock! i know it should be pretty simple but we cannot find anything that is just a simple tie type. Does anyone know of a link of where i could get a pretty basic pattern for this. thanks!
I had chemo for OC, but never lost my hair. My friend had BC & lost her hair, so I made her several style of head covers/hats. I found a pattern for baseball style hats, but they are longer in the back, more like a riding hat. I lined them with satin fabric to help prevent head rub. She loved these, as they were not only more dressy, they shaded the sun. I used different fabrics....brushed twill, quilting cotton, etc. Thinner cotton fabrics need a fusable iron on lining tho. You could maybe cut a section out in the back & put a piece of mesh in for airflow.

This is the pattern for the hat: Detailed photos/instructions: https://curiouslycrafty.wordpress.com/milinery/
The pattern is 3 pdf downloads at the top of the page.

I wish you a speedy recovery & pray you will not have too many side effects. I do know that drinking Gatorade daily will help keep you from becoming anemic. Nurses told me this AFTER I ended up anemic.