Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: iso of a pattern for bandana style "hats" for cancer

Blog Entries

iso of a pattern for bandana style "hats" for cancer

Hi everyone. I just started chemo on tuesday for breast cancer and my friend and I have been looking on line for free patterns for some hats to keep my head covered and protected for the summer. I want something like a bandana kerchief style to let air in and just basically keep my head covered and cool. Saw a pattern at Joann's by McCalls but have gone THREE times and it is never in stock! i know it should be pretty simple but we cannot find anything that is just a simple tie type. Does anyone know of a link of where i could get a pretty basic pattern for this. thanks!

Blog Entries
    thanks thimblebug6000 - i like the style but i may modify it to where it doesn't hang down so long in back. but it is very close to what i was looking for! goodness knows i will have time to play around with patterns! going to be a long six months i think!

Could you post the pattern number?

If you can PM me with a pattern #, our local JoAnn's is having patterns on sale and I would be happy to see if I can get it for you and mail it to you. I think the sale runs from April 12 to 18th. Please let me know if I can help.

Blog Entries
    my bf is on her way to JoAnn's in a nearby town to see if they have it there. They were on sale this weekend here for 3/$5 which is why i really wanted to get it. I cannot believe the price of tissue patterns anymore. We went to a JoAnn's in a larger metro area (if you want to call it that - LOL) but tonight she is going to a very small town. so we are hoping they have it there.

Don't have any info on patterns, but just wanted too wish you the best of luck dealing with your breast cancer.
    Pat in MN

Blog Entries
    I add my best wishes for your recovery. ��
    Sue

Is it the 4116? I'm thinking the navy blue one might be close?
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-004

Some free patterns also, as an alternative. The 4th one down is a simple tie but they have several styles. I have (apparently) a small head and usually cannot buy hats that fit. Several could be worn by anyone!!
    http://www.brimmingwithlove.org/

I swear I'll stop but this one is so cute as an alternative! I wish hats would come back in style!!
    http://www.heatherbaileystore.com/pr...p/mp007-bc.htm
    Last edited by AZ Jane; 04-04-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Good luck with treatment and healing. My DH has had 4 kinds of CA and last he had to get chemo, and Dr. today calls him the miracle man as he keeps on coming back and healing. Pray the same for you, attitude has much to do with it I believe. Let me know if you do not find pattern and I would be happy to look for it here.

Good luck with the treatments. I finished chemo mid-January for breast cancer and finished radiation mid-March. My hair is just starting to grow - Yeah! It's a scant 1/4 inch, but I can at least see it now. I never wanted a wig and have a nice collection of different head coverings that have been great. I wish you only the best and although it is a very hard road to travel, you can do it! Prayers go out for your complete recovery.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  174.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  200.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  215.7 KBThese are three hats we make in our quilt guild. Hope you can use one.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the offers and links and just the support!!! My friend did find the pattern the other night at a smaller JoAnn's! She was so excited when she called me! Decided to get some fresh air today and went down and picked it up. Felt so good to be outside - had a rough two days with the after effects of a shot they gave me. they said it would make me feel like i had the flu and boy did it ever! But now i know what to expect the next time! Went to store and loaded up on popsicles (sugar free) and graham crackers and yogurt!Going to stay at home tomorrow. will miss seeing my family but just want to rest! Everyone have a Blessed Easter!

Blog Entries
    Yes it was McCall's pattern 4116 and the blue one!

Rest is good. Sending a prayer for complete healing.

Connie

I had BC 13 years ago in September at the age of 49, it was a difficult journey, hats became my best friends. I sewed them myself for every holiday, special outings and to match my outfits. Chemo was hard and so was radiation but the gift of life I gave myself by consenting to the treatments was well worth the journey. I will be praying for you and wish you the best.

Blog Entries
    Glad you have the pattern. I hope all of your caregivers will be compassionate and wise, and may your healing be complete.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

So happy to hear you got the pattern you wanted. I will add you to my prayers. Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest My son's classmate who had BC at age 37 said some days she had to push herself to get up and do some short walks. She said the chemo did make her feel like she had the flu for several days afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
    Hi everyone. I just started chemo on tuesday for breast cancer and my friend and I have been looking on line for free patterns for some hats to keep my head covered and protected for the summer. I want something like a bandana kerchief style to let air in and just basically keep my head covered and cool. Saw a pattern at Joann's by McCalls but have gone THREE times and it is never in stock! i know it should be pretty simple but we cannot find anything that is just a simple tie type. Does anyone know of a link of where i could get a pretty basic pattern for this. thanks!
    I had chemo for OC, but never lost my hair. My friend had BC & lost her hair, so I made her several style of head covers/hats. I found a pattern for baseball style hats, but they are longer in the back, more like a riding hat. I lined them with satin fabric to help prevent head rub. She loved these, as they were not only more dressy, they shaded the sun. I used different fabrics....brushed twill, quilting cotton, etc. Thinner cotton fabrics need a fusable iron on lining tho. You could maybe cut a section out in the back & put a piece of mesh in for airflow.

This is the pattern for the hat: Detailed photos/instructions: https://curiouslycrafty.wordpress.com/milinery/
    The pattern is 3 pdf downloads at the top of the page.

I wish you a speedy recovery & pray you will not have too many side effects. I do know that drinking Gatorade daily will help keep you from becoming anemic. Nurses told me this AFTER I ended up anemic.

Blog Entries
    I haven't been on here for a while. Halfway through the chemo!!!! I haven't made any hats yet - too tired and don't have my sewing machine set up! But a friend of my aunt's sent me 4 hats in the mail so i have a pretty good selection to choose from! I did get a wig and i love it other than it being so hot to wear some days! I have so many people tell me how they love the color and style and then i tell them it's a wig and they can't believe it. I also am very up front about cancer. I guess i want people to know that it isn't a death sentence and even though i am going through chemo the advances they make in treatment are amazing!