Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
iso of a pattern for bandana style "hats" for cancer >

iso of a pattern for bandana style "hats" for cancer

iso of a pattern for bandana style "hats" for cancer

Old 04-04-2015, 08:07 AM

Good luck with treatment and healing. My DH has had 4 kinds of CA and last he had to get chemo, and Dr. today calls him the miracle man as he keeps on coming back and healing. Pray the same for you, attitude has much to do with it I believe. Let me know if you do not find pattern and I would be happy to look for it here.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Good luck with the treatments. I finished chemo mid-January for breast cancer and finished radiation mid-March. My hair is just starting to grow - Yeah! It's a scant 1/4 inch, but I can at least see it now. I never wanted a wig and have a nice collection of different head coverings that have been great. I wish you only the best and although it is a very hard road to travel, you can do it! Prayers go out for your complete recovery.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:29 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515870[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515871[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515872[/ATTACH]These are three hats we make in our quilt guild. Hope you can use one.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 04:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the offers and links and just the support!!! My friend did find the pattern the other night at a smaller JoAnn's! She was so excited when she called me! Decided to get some fresh air today and went down and picked it up. Felt so good to be outside - had a rough two days with the after effects of a shot they gave me. they said it would make me feel like i had the flu and boy did it ever! But now i know what to expect the next time! Went to store and loaded up on popsicles (sugar free) and graham crackers and yogurt!Going to stay at home tomorrow. will miss seeing my family but just want to rest! Everyone have a Blessed Easter!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:14 PM

Yes it was McCall's pattern 4116 and the blue one!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 PM

Rest is good. Sending a prayer for complete healing.

Connie
Old 04-05-2015, 07:28 AM

I had BC 13 years ago in September at the age of 49, it was a difficult journey, hats became my best friends. I sewed them myself for every holiday, special outings and to match my outfits. Chemo was hard and so was radiation but the gift of life I gave myself by consenting to the treatments was well worth the journey. I will be praying for you and wish you the best.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:23 PM

Glad you have the pattern. I hope all of your caregivers will be compassionate and wise, and may your healing be complete.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:32 PM

So happy to hear you got the pattern you wanted. I will add you to my prayers. Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest My son's classmate who had BC at age 37 said some days she had to push herself to get up and do some short walks. She said the chemo did make her feel like she had the flu for several days afterwards.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
Hi everyone. I just started chemo on tuesday for breast cancer and my friend and I have been looking on line for free patterns for some hats to keep my head covered and protected for the summer. I want something like a bandana kerchief style to let air in and just basically keep my head covered and cool. Saw a pattern at Joann's by McCalls but have gone THREE times and it is never in stock! i know it should be pretty simple but we cannot find anything that is just a simple tie type. Does anyone know of a link of where i could get a pretty basic pattern for this. thanks!
I had chemo for OC, but never lost my hair. My friend had BC & lost her hair, so I made her several style of head covers/hats. I found a pattern for baseball style hats, but they are longer in the back, more like a riding hat. I lined them with satin fabric to help prevent head rub. She loved these, as they were not only more dressy, they shaded the sun. I used different fabrics....brushed twill, quilting cotton, etc. Thinner cotton fabrics need a fusable iron on lining tho. You could maybe cut a section out in the back & put a piece of mesh in for airflow.

This is the pattern for the hat: Detailed photos/instructions: https://curiouslycrafty.wordpress.com/milinery/
The pattern is 3 pdf downloads at the top of the page.

I wish you a speedy recovery & pray you will not have too many side effects. I do know that drinking Gatorade daily will help keep you from becoming anemic. Nurses told me this AFTER I ended up anemic.