Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 PM
craftyone27

I'm in a similar situation regarding the purchase of a new machine. 27 years ago I got a $150 machine which I thought was expensive at the time. I used that machine for almost 20 years before I splurged and got a used Bernina 8 years ago. I love my machine and have hardly any complaints with it - the main one being that a 7 inch harp is just not enough space for me to do quilting on anything larger than a lap quilt. I know others on the board have managed it but with a bad back and arthritis in my neck and shoulders I just can't make it work. I have the money right now from my mom's estate to pay cash for a new machine. This is the final payout and much less than what has already been spent on the family - drums for my DS, a new electric guitar for my DH, and $17,000 to repair the engine on our boat (don't ask I almost lost my mind over that one). Now I am getting close to buying what I want and I'm second guessing myself. The new Bernina 770QE has a 10 inch harp and lots of other bells and whistles along with an optional embroidery module that adds $1300 to the price. I have never done any embroidery and am torn over whether or not to get it or wait and add it on later if I want to. I still have two other LQS to visit that sell Viking/Pfaff and Janome/Elna. The price I was quoted for the Bernina is much lower than I expected so the price on any of these other machines would have to be incredible for me to select one of them over the Bernina. What do you ladies think of the embroidery module issue - is it worth the extra money or will it be an expensive paperweight?