View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Skyangel

I have an 80s vintage Bernina 910 I bought about 6 years ago. I negotiated a lower price because the seller had wired the foot control cord to a Kenmore foot control I recognized (because I still have my first machine, a 70s Kenmore that uses the same FC). I bought a used Bernina foot control on a yahoo sewing board for $75, then traded it for a different one that would have been correct for the 910. I opened it up to change the cord for the one that came with my 910 (it was white, as the machine is blue/white) and found out that it is difficult to put them back together without breaking two little carbon pins inside (which I did). I could buy the pins, but no guarantee that I wouldn't break those too. I took it to my Bernina dealer who charges $25 to service a foot control. Plus parts, it cost me $32. I consider it a stupid tax. But check with the dealers close to you, if you can find a long-time tech who knows the older foot controls, they are repairable. In the case of the 910 and 930, the needle up/down feature was introduced during this series and it has to have the correct foot control to use the feature. When I finally got the right foot control repaired, I did have needle up/down on mine.