Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bernina foot control - lost cause? >

Bernina foot control - lost cause?

Bernina foot control - lost cause?

Old 11-08-2015, 12:51 AM

Default Bernina foot control - lost cause?

Probably a bit modern for most folks here, but hopefully some of the youngsters have come across this issue so I hope I can get away with it.

Hardly out of the box, maybe just 40 years old, Bernina 830s and probably other models can be had at reasonable prices because of broken foot controls. I know, because I just got a very nice 830 Record. I read up on this issue, and it seems they break as a rule, not an exemption.

You can find generic pedals at $15-20 for the 2 pin non electronic ones, but mine is a 3 pin one. On ebay these start around $75-80 as far as I've found, and if you want to do it right and buy from Bernina guru Ray White it will set you back $200. Party pooper.

There are repair tuts and advice for just about any common problem online, but I can't find anything on this. The circuit must be very advanced..?

The question is, does anyone know anything useful about this?

Stay addicted
Stein
Old 11-08-2015, 09:22 AM

The foot controls are repairable. I have repaired many Bernina foot controls, however many Bernina techs won't do it because there are electronics involved and only offer replacements. The replacement board for the controls runs like $125. . There are generic ones that I'm not thrilled with and they are still pricey. I have a generic one that squeaks and cannot be quieted! Some people rewire the machines to other generic controllers, but I would recommend against that. It devalues the machine. Bernina parts are expensive. There's no getting around it! But, Berninas hold their value over any other manufacturer and likely you would get any money you put into it back if you chose to sell the machine. Ebay would be a good source and probably your least expensive route for a used one.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Keep a search on eBay because occasionally a seller who wants to move it will list it at a much lower price. Good Luck. I have a two Bernina from the same series and they both use the same foot controller, bobbins and feet..
Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM

Awhile back,I was looking for something for my Viking and came upon this site and just checked and they have 6 or 7 Berninia foot controls. I have never ordered anything and don't know much about them but I think they do have a brick and mortar store www.sewingmachinesplus.com
Old 11-09-2015, 06:50 PM

If we're talking about the foot control with the electronics and the potentiometer on the bottom, there's a capacitor that needs to be replaced. We used to get them at Radio Shack, but they closed. When the capacitor goes out, the foot will stutter badly.

If the black cover is broken, that's a fire hazard, and the whole thing should just be replaced. We just use the cheap electronic foot controls, and attach them to the existing cord. It works pretty good, and costs about $40.

If there's no power going to the machine, it could be a break in the cord instead of the foot control.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:04 PM

I have an 80s vintage Bernina 910 I bought about 6 years ago. I negotiated a lower price because the seller had wired the foot control cord to a Kenmore foot control I recognized (because I still have my first machine, a 70s Kenmore that uses the same FC). I bought a used Bernina foot control on a yahoo sewing board for $75, then traded it for a different one that would have been correct for the 910. I opened it up to change the cord for the one that came with my 910 (it was white, as the machine is blue/white) and found out that it is difficult to put them back together without breaking two little carbon pins inside (which I did). I could buy the pins, but no guarantee that I wouldn't break those too. I took it to my Bernina dealer who charges $25 to service a foot control. Plus parts, it cost me $32. I consider it a stupid tax. But check with the dealers close to you, if you can find a long-time tech who knows the older foot controls, they are repairable. In the case of the 910 and 930, the needle up/down feature was introduced during this series and it has to have the correct foot control to use the feature. When I finally got the right foot control repaired, I did have needle up/down on mine.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Default No needle down Bernina 930

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
I have an 80s vintage Bernina 910 I bought about 6 years ago. I negotiated a lower price because the seller had wired the foot control cord to a Kenmore foot control I recognized (because I still have my first machine, a 70s Kenmore that uses the same FC). I bought a used Bernina foot control on a yahoo sewing board for $75, then traded it for a different one that would have been correct for the 910. I opened it up to change the cord for the one that came with my 910 (it was white, as the machine is blue/white) and found out that it is difficult to put them back together without breaking two little carbon pins inside (which I did). I could buy the pins, but no guarantee that I wouldn't break those too. I took it to my Bernina dealer who charges $25 to service a foot control. Plus parts, it cost me $32. I consider it a stupid tax. But check with the dealers close to you, if you can find a long-time tech who knows the older foot controls, they are repairable. In the case of the 910 and 930, the needle up/down feature was introduced during this series and it has to have the correct foot control to use the feature. When I finally got the right foot control repaired, I did have needle up/down on mine.

What is the model number or type number of the proper control? Mine says Type 347 which I think may be the wrong one.