Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I may be a lost cause >

I may be a lost cause

I may be a lost cause

Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM

Default I may be a lost cause

So I've given fmq a try and I can't seem to get it right at all. I even tried using a stencil and following the lines with my fmq foot and it went horribly. Just can't seem to get the hang of it. Only tried it for a short time , but I think I may stick to straight line quilting. Is it something that gets easier? Or is it one of those skills that you either have it or you don't?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Perhaps if you start by looking at straight line quilting with a different eye it will help. There is much more than just stitch in the ditch. I posted this graphic just recently, but I suppose it's worth doing so again.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails walking-foot-design-ideas.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM

From what I have read, fmq takes lots and lots of practice. I haven't mastered it yet. Of course I haven't spent much time on it either. Every time I try, it gets worse so I have stuck with straight line quilting for the time being. Good luck to you.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM

Lots of practice, and you DO get better with time... I'm finding that my skill often improves over the course of a quilt
Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 PM

It is also the speed of the machine and the speed of your hands linking together. Remember learning to drive 3 pedals steering wheel and a gear stick and brake . And only 2 hands and 2 feet. It's the sae problem. Keep trying. Personally I like the speed of the machine to be not on full but 1/4 down. I can then manage my hands better.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Perhaps if you start by looking at straight line quilting with a different eye it will help. There is much more than just stitch in the ditch. I posted this graphic just recently, but I suppose it's worth doing so again.

Jan in VA

Thanks Jan. I missed that the first time around.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

there is a learning curve---and it takes a lot of practice/patience. can you sit down at a piano and after a 'little while' play a concerto? probably not- it takes practice put together practice sandwiches (pot holders/placemats work well) and practice. if you have a stack of practice pieces made up & sitting there- each time you are going to sew either start with a little practice- or end with one---before you know it you will be showing improvement- ready to start on something a little bigger (table runner, baby quilt) a few months down the road you will look at those first pieces and be able to see how far you have come.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 AM

There are a lot of youtube videos on quilting you could watch and also check out Patsy Thompson's website she has instructional videos and she does all her quilting on a home sewing machine. She has lots of tips but the best advice I can give you is don't beat yourself up about FMQing it takes time and patience and lots of practice. Start by doodling on sketch paper and remember have fun with it.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:17 AM

Leah day explains how to modify your foot to make it easier. I drop the feed dogs. It is easier to do with a smaller quilt. I would start practice with a doll quilt or mini. The gloves help a lot and there are other devices that can. Help too. It takes several hours of practice before you start to get a rhythm. Look at the complexity of your stencils or markings too. Try to use a very forgiving pattern or stencil.