View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 12:48 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Everyone is going to answer that their machine is best! I would visit sewing machine dealers in your area. Purchasing a machine from a dealer will give you someone to call if you have a problem. Many dealers have previously owned machines that they sell with a limited warranty and sometimes a lesson or two on basic usage & maintenance. Until you decide what type of quilting you are going to do, an entry level machine with a zigzag stitch, needle down option and a built in threader is really all you need. If you like quilting, you can eventually invest in a machine with more bells & whistles.
Well said Paper Princess. I bought an inexpensive machine at Walmart that was so easy to learn to use, that when I decided to buy a big fancy machine, I bought the same brand from a dealer. That one came with an easy to understand instruction book and free classes to learn to use it effectively. In case you want to know, my machines are made by Brother, and have never needed servicing because I take very good care to keep them cleaned out.