View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 05:12 PM
OurWorkbench

A new workstand needs baseboards, so I'm going to make new ones. I have several to make and I want to use better wood this time. But before I do, I need to rework my routing process. When I made the first boards, I didn't really have the process thought out very well.

My first idea was to clamp the template to the baseboard material. This poses some challenges. The router has a bottom plate that it rides on, extending three to four inches in each direction, outward from the router bit. The router needs this clearance to operate. Clamps need to be out of the way. So, making room for the clamps, one can quickly have a template and baseboard that are very large by comparison to the desired size. The first template and board were both large and I cut the baseboard down to the final size later. This worked, but is very wasteful of wood.

The next time I made a baseboard, I decided to physically screw the template to the baseboard material, using flathead screws recessed below the surface. The router plate passed right over them with no problem. All boards since the first have been done this way. It works, but has a drawback. It leaves screw holes in the baseboard, which need to be filled afterward and sanded smooth. It's time consuming and on some of the boards you can still see slightly where the holes were.

Of the several baseboards I made for the first workstand, I don't believe that any two templates are the same size. I would just grab a piece of plywood that was available and make the template. Consequently, all of the templates are a different size.

Lastly, holding down the work securely is a bit challenging. This can require additional clamps, which also need to be out of the way of the router.

So I need an easy to use system which can be used with all of the previous templates.

A Routing Jig

I made a jig which will accept any of the previous baseboard templates and will securely hold the blank baseboard material to be routed. Made mostly from old wood, it's not fancy, but it will work. As can be seen, it has a hole in it large enough to accommodate any cutout. The hole is for router bit clearance and is just larger than the largest sized baseboard cutout I will need to make.

(Routing Jig)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552620[/ATTACH]

When a baseboard is done, the template may be easily lifted, using the hinged template arms. A little like a silk screening setup. The hinged arms are cut to fit around the baseboard material. A given template to be used is mounted with screws to the two arms, which are hinged, and close over the blank baseboard to be routed. The board to be routed is held securely by the jig, without any need for screw holes that would spoil the surface of it.

Two templates are needed for each baseboard, one for the outer edge and step cut, the other for the inner cut that removes the center of the baseboard entirely. The jig will allow for easy alignment of the two templates, which have been made with identical mounting holes.

A strip of wood along the top edge of the baseboard serves to hold one edge securely as a back stop. It has two wood screws, the tips of which sink slightly into the edge of the board, preventing it from moving back and forth side to side. If a baseboard needs to be reinstalled in the jig, these tiny holes can be used to register it exactly as it was.

(Back Stop With Screws)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552621[/ATTACH]

The baseboard is secured using two machine screws. I used T-nuts in little blocks of wood. Janey got some metal punch-outs from where she works. I inset them into the wooden strip and they work great to provide a surface for the metal screws to tighten against.

(Wooden Strip With Metal Inserts)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552622[/ATTACH]

When the arms with the template are closed over the baseboard to be routed, pegs assure that the positioning of the template is correct. Pictures of the routing jig, fitted with a template and a baseboard blank are shown, both open and closed. The template seen is for the outer cut of a Singer universal baseboard.

(Routing Jig Open)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552623[/ATTACH]

(Routing Jig Closed)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552624[/ATTACH]

The jig has been made to fit over two saw horses, when in use.

(Routing Jig On Saw Horses)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552625[/ATTACH]

Not only will this jig make routing baseboards easier and more precise, I can easily put a baseboard back into it if something isn't perfect from a first pass with the router. I can do a second pass if necessary, with essentially perfect alignment of the template and baseboard..

And no wood is wasted. A baseboard blank cut to finished size may be securely held by the jig.

Next, I'm intending to post the making of a Kenmore baseboard using the new jig.

More soon,

John
Attached Thumbnails routerjig.jpg   backstopwithscrews.jpg   woodenstripwithmetalinserts.jpg   routerjigopen.jpg   routerjigclosed.jpg  

routerjigonsawhorses.jpg