View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 04:34 AM
OurWorkbench

CRAFTING A KENMORE BASEBOARD

I think I'll have to make two posts out of this. Lots of pictures.

The Kenmore baseboard has so far been missing from our set for the workstand. I'm making one here and using the routing jig that I made recently, perhaps showing its usefulness and operation more clearly.

A template for the router to follow had to be made. Like templates I've previously made for other manufacturers, it defines the outer edge of the Kenmore mounting cutout. I'll show the use of the template, which is already made. The new routing jig will work for any template.

(Empty Routing Jig)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552951[/ATTACH]

The jig has two hinged arms for mounting the template. The jig is shown with one of its two arms swung back and the other arm shown down on the deck of the jig. I did this to show the difference in one picture. The arms are independent of one another. A template, however, will join them together.

The Kenmore template is seen, about to be screwed down to the arms of the jig.

(Attach Template With Screws)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552952[/ATTACH]

The template is attached, using four recessed screws, which will allow the router plate to slide smoothly over them.

(Template Attached)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552953[/ATTACH]

Once the template is installed, the template and arms become one piece. The template may be raised and swung open a little, as shown here, or all the way back, shown later.

(Template Raised)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552954[/ATTACH]

With the template up and out of the way, a baseboard blank may be inserted. The blank has been pre-cut to exact measurements. It can be held securely by the jig as it is being cut by the router.

(Blank Baseboard Inserted)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552955[/ATTACH]

The template is lowered into place for routing. Two pegs may be seen in the picture above, which exactly registers or positions the template when the arms are down and closed.

(Routing Jig Closed)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552956[/ATTACH]

- (Continued In Following Post) -
Attached Thumbnails emptyroutingjig.jpg   attachtemplatewithscrews.jpg   templateattached.jpg   templateraised.jpg   blankbaseboardinserted.jpg  

routingjigclosed.jpg