View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 05:03 AM
OurWorkbench

CRAFTING A KENMORE BASEBOARD (continued)

Using exact size baseboard blanks eliminates wasted wood, a great improvement over my original method. If you're a newcomer to the thread, there is a previous post about how I made the original baseboards at:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7223881

The router (shown to the left) has been set to the correct cutting depth. Three passes of the router are necessary. The first two form the stepped edge. The third pass cuts the inner edge of the cutout, all the way through the baseboard material. A starter hole makes beginning the routing process a little easier.

The oval seen in the center of the template serves to support the back of the router plate as it follows the inside edge of the template. Being oval in shape, it slides around easily, pushed by the router, pretty much all by itself.

(Ready To Begin)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552957[/ATTACH]

I stopped after the first router pass to take this picture. Sawdust all around the area!

(Routing Mid Process)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552958[/ATTACH]

The finished baseboard is shown below, ready for filing and sanding of the new stepped edge. I cut the inside with a jigsaw for this first Kenmore baseboard. I may have to make adjustments to the inner edge. When I've tested it with a variety of machines, I'll make a template for the router to cut the inner edge. This second template will have exactly the same screw holes as the template shown here, so it will also be positioned correctly.

The jig lastly holds the baseboard and allows easy filing and sanding of the inner edge. Here it is shown with the template swung completely back and out of the way.

(A Holder While Finishing)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552959[/ATTACH]

The radius of my router bit is still not sharp enough for the Kenmore corners. The small radius that my router bit produced is shown.

(Round Corner)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552960[/ATTACH]

Easy fix. I squared up the corners with a chisel.

(Square Corner)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552961[/ATTACH]

The baseboard in a rough and unpainted condition is shown here, ready for testing.

(Kenmore Baseboard)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552962[/ATTACH]

The first machine I chose to test is a Kenmore 158.1652. Being a very heavy machine, the workstand really shows its benefits.

(Kenmore Upright)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552963[/ATTACH]

And of course, I just had to turn it on its head.

(Kenmore Upside Down)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552964[/ATTACH]

I still have to test the baseboard with two or three other Kenmores that we have.

In closing, this might be a good time to reiterate the question I had a page or two back, about bed size conventions. This is a good example. This baseboard accommodates a 16-5/8 inch long machine that is 7-1/4 inches in width.

Does anyone know if there are models that are about two inches shorter, having clearance under the handwheel for a treadle belt? This would follow the Singer convention of long and short beds.

More soon,

John
Attached Thumbnails readytobegin.jpg   routingmidprocess.jpg   holderwhilefinishing.jpg   roundcorner.jpg   squarecorner.jpg  

keenmorebaseboard.jpg   kenmoreupright.jpg   kenmoreupsidedown.jpg