View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 05:21 PM
OurWorkbench

Finished Kenmore Board

I finished the Kenmore board with an olive drab color. Twice. You'd think I'd know to check all the machines before painting! I had to make a couple of adjustments that required a touch up coat.

The machines I tested were Kenmore 158.1652, 158.13570, 158.16012 and 148.231. It fits machines that are 7-1/4 inches in bed depth and that have square corners.

(Finished Kenmore Baseboard)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553451[/ATTACH]

With the other baseboards shown earlier in this thread on page 10, our collection of baseboards for ordinary use is pretty much complete.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7374224

With this complement of baseboards, the workstand can accommodate a very wide range of machines built between around 1890 and well into the 20th century, when machines began to be made without standard mounting provisions, their bases being an integral part of the machine body.

Swing Frame Balance Test

This is a picture that I took a while back, but forgot to post. I wanted to test the exact balance of the new swing frame I had made recently. I wanted to see how well balanced it would be all by itself. But an empty swing frame is far from balanced.

Irregularity in the movement or balance of something that is turning is easier to see or feel when it is turning faster than the workstand typically is rotated. I've turned a machine more than once a second but it feels like I'm pushing some limit of safety or good sense.

To spin the new frame faster, as well as eliminate the normal slight imbalance of the machine itself, I built a dummy load for the stand. A weight on the end of a vertically oriented arm serves to balance the frame. It is the minimum weight that the frame can be balanced with. It serves to make a perfectly spinning swing frame.

(Spin Test Setup)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553455[/ATTACH]

I can spin the swing frame at three or four times per second, fast enough to see that it is well balanced. No problems. And no sewing machines were harmed doing this experiment.

More soon,

John
Attached Thumbnails kenmorefinshed.jpg   spintestdummy.jpg