Thread: Gadgets 2016
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I just took an on-line class with Paula Reid and she uses a Kwik Clip tool for pin basting. I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure if it was necessary.

Does anyone use this tool?
Have you pin basted before? If not, try it without first. I have one but, as best I can remember, I found it only marginally helpful for pin basting -- because it does help close the pins. Its usefulness probably depends somewhat on the types of pins you use. I used very small pins; I think it would be more useful for larger pins. After the Kwik Clip tool had been on the market for awhile, bent pins came out that were supposed to be easier to use. I have never used the bent pins but some quilters like them.

From pins I graduated to to spray basting and now to frame quilting (which does not require basting). Many other quilters have moved from pin basting to glue basting because pins can be so annoying. I ruined an expensive even-feed foot when it got caught on a pin I didn't see while quilting. That experience made me search for better basting options.