View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 04:06 PM
MargaretH

I made this on the fly. We had seen a similar picture on pinterest. Myself strips were cut at 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, 1 3/4 inches. Not all strips were straight, some were odd shape. The corner triangle that makes the center is whatever size fits to finish the square.
I used a cheap sketch pad from the 99 cent store as a paper foundation. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. I had a hard time getting all the paper off.
The papers were 9 in square. I placed the white strip (purchased denim yardage) down the center of the square and added stripes along each side with 1/4 in seam allowance.
4 squares make the block. To help make it lay flatter, I used 1/2 in seam allowances and pressed open when sewing squares together. The 4 units make a 16 in square.
4 squares across and 5 squares down. The first border was cut at 2 1/4 in and sewn with 1/2 seam and pressed towards the border.
the braid border was made with pieces ( lots of pieces) cut at 1 1/2 by 4 1/2 in. It was then trimmed to 5 inches and attached with 1/2 in seams.
My finished size is 76 X 92.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. It was quite a task but fun to make. Will I ever nake another? Today my answer is no, lol