View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 AM
nlgh

I, too, watch a lot of older shows because they are much better scripts than these newer shows. I don't like the reality shows either unless they are the music ones. I used to watch Dancing with the Stars, but their dance routines and costumes got so "sophisticated" that I didn't enjoy them. I have DISH basic, but half the channels are shopping programs and I only watch about about 15 or so channels and that is to see certain programs at certain times. There's not a channel I would put on and leave it on all day (or as long as I am home, that is).

The older shows I watch keep my interest from beginning to end, movies included. It seems no one knows how to do that anymore. I blame the education system for quite a lot of it. It seems they have watered down the standards we had when I was in school. I graduated high school in 1956. I may have been lucky to have the teacher I had, but she taught us the correct usage of certain words like effect and affect, the correct forms of verbs like when and how to use seen and saw, etc.

I have grandkids in the school system now, the youngest in 2nd grade. They are learning some things a little earlier than when I did, but the math being taught now, Common Core, is atrocious. I can't help when it comes to multiplication and division. The way they are taught to solve the problems is so much harder and less clear cut that I don't even understand it. Watch the way young people make change at the cash register. If they don't have the machine tell them how much to give you, some of them can't give you the right change. I could go on, but I won't.