View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 AM
Macybaby

I have 9 living siblings plus 10 in laws
Then 29 nieces and nephews (youngest is a teenager now) plus 13 spouses
and so far, 26 grand nieces and nephews, and that number is growing.

That is 87 people if I count the spouses, and 64 without.

And that is my side! Though I've already given about 10 of them. Have not seen anyone for two years so the quilts have piled up.

I'm making labels that say "In memory of . . ." and using fabric from shirts that my Mom and Dad wore . With this many people, I didn't have enough garments to make traditional memory quilts even for the direct children. My Mom loved shirts with some embellishment, so I fussy cut them in circles. Dad wore plaids, so I cut them into squares to make 9 patch blocks. Each label has a 9 patch with a overlapping circle. When my youngest sister got her's, she cried because she remembered Mom wearing the shirt. She told me afterwards that when ever someone came over, her DH had to take them into the bedroom to show off the quilt, he was very proud to have it.

But it gets real easy on my husband's side (only child) - there is only his father, and he got a quilt a few years ago.

My DD and DS would gladly take any quilt I'd give them. They both each have one and would like more. No grandkids in the picture, and the prospects of having them some day are not real good.

I also make quilts for non-family members, probably about 10 of them to date also.

Though I've been sewing all my life, I didn't get into making quilts until after my Dad was gone and my Mom was in her final stages - 2014. The first quilt I made at that time was a mystery lap quilt a gave to my Mom. She liked to run her hands over it to feel the texture and pick at the bumps. Wish I'd have known about fidget quilts back then. I got the quilt back after she passed, and use it in my office (it's sitting right next to me).

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-27-2018 at 06:51 AM.