Thread: Quilt Judging
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 09:10 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ekuw
No, it's not just you. That has been my experience too. As someone who does my own quilting on my domestic machine, I go to quilt shows to get inspiration and ideas as to how to quilt my own quilts. The last couple of shows there is so little quilting that is not custom or done on a long arm that I don't see anything that I can relate to. I see beautiful quilts, but it just makes me wish I had a long arm so I can keep up!
I encourage you to look up the award winning quilts by Janet Stone and Sherry Reynolds (just google images of Janet Stone quilts or Sherry Reynolds quilts). Make sure you have a basket handy for your jaw, because it will drop. Both of these extremely talented ladies do all their own quilting on domestic machines. I have been fortunate to see at least 4 of Janet's quilts in person and I have seen Sherry's most recent quilt Eternal Beauty. The workmanship is amazing. Also all of Janet's applique is raw edge fusible stitched down with a blanket stitch. She has taken numerous AQS BOS awards with her charming quilts.

Also look at the work by Diane Gaudynski another phenomenal DSM quilter.

It is possible to do this kind of quilting on a DSM. I never enjoyed the process of sitdown quilting but boy do I love standup quilting on a rack. I am in awe of people who can do that kind of work on a domestic and I strongly feel some of their tiny little fills would be hard to replicate in the same scale with a LA. I can do some tiny stuff with mine but not like they can!