Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Judging >

Quilt Judging

Quilt Judging

Old 08-04-2019, 04:01 AM

Default Quilt Judging

Is it just me? I am only familiar with local quilt shows and county fairs but it seems like the only quilts that get ribbons are the ones custom quilted. Yes, they are beautiful but what about all the ones with great piecing, color and design choices that are quilted edge to edge. Not everyone can afford the high cost of custom quilting or is capable or has the set up for DSM. Ribbons aren’t everything but it would be nice if other qualities of quilting are also recognized.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

In the major shows there are prizes for other categories like design, hand quilting etc. I am not a big fan of outstanding machine quilting that obscures the piecing either.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:17 AM

Many shows do break down the type of quilting into different categories, but it is very hard for someone who just had a basic vintage machine like mine to get awards based on quilting, hopefully there will be categories that don't include it. But ultimately a quilt is a finished project and I've seen mine turn into "another fine top ruined by mediocre quilting" and I've seen completely blah and uninteresting tops turn into spectacular projects by their quilting.

Basically though, with the advent of home long arm quilting systems, you have to submit your work in the current style to be judged fairly, and that is heavily quilted.

Personally, I don't like what I consider to be mattress pads no matter how beautiful they are. I prefer a looser quilting style with a fluffier batt. But then I've never bothered with what is popular just what I want and I don't enter my quilts in judged shows. Still, I know what to do and how to do it and believe I could make an award winning quilt should I choose. But I choose to make pretty blankets that keep body and soul warm, not that those can't be beautiful too but I don't want to keep projects around that have to be touched with gloves on and wrapped in acid free tissue paper and refolded every three months and all the other stuff that goes with it.

There is nothing at all wrong with competition and ribbons and such, it is just that I don't typically appreciate such encounters. My hubby has been trying to get me to join a bowling league for example but so far I refuse. Someone would do/say something that would take away my enjoyment and want me to be "better". They don't understand that while I am getting better, I have no desire to be "best".
Old 08-04-2019, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Most fairs don't use certified quilt judges and often the judges they do use may not even be quilters, let alone sewers so the quilt is only being judged on its visual appeal to the committee that is judging. They do probably look closer at details if the competition is close between several quilts to ensure the details are just as well executed as the initial visual impact. The custom quilting will definitely be of more visual interest to the untrained eye than an E2E. Some local venues do use a cert. judge but others don't. When it comes to quilt show judging where certified quilt judges are used, or even uncertified but at least a quilter, they are taking every aspect of the quilt into consideration and that would include the level, complexity and suitability of the quilting in addition to the piecing. Many judges use score sheets that touch on all aspects of the quilt which includes piecing precision, visual impact of design and color, binding and several aspects of the quilting. If machine quilted they look at stitch length, tension, appropriate use of quilting design, quilting density, starts and stops.
When score sheets are used each quilt gets points for every item on the list and the quilt with the most points wins. So a very complex and well executed custom quilting treatment will outscore an E2E in shows where these kinds of quilts are competing head to head.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:59 AM

It would be nice if something other than custom quilting was recognized. I personally can't stand the quilted to death look. Stiff as a board and simply not usable as quilts. Our Guild show brings in different judges each year. Some acknowledge different work but often the same long armers win everything with an occasional new person mixed in. Unfortunately, that is "perfection" to many people. Show quilts are an entirely different quilt than home quilts. I participate with my home quilts not expecting to win anything. I don't even look at the judges comments and toss them away.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Feline...exactly...well said.

toverly...I don't care for over quilting either. It may have a visual impact, but I make quilts to cuddle in. Yes show quilts are different than home quilts.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:10 AM

To say that a fine top is ruined by mediocre quilting sounds kind of harsh to me. The bare bones function of quilting is to secure the three layers together, so if a fine top is secured to the other layers by less than optimal quilting, I'd call that 'finished,' not ruined, even though it might not be all that it could be artistically.

I notice in my quilting magazine reporting on shows, that they do have lots of judging categories, so that a hand quilted quilt is not up against a machine quilted, etc., but I guess that might not be the case in a smaller venue like a local show or county fair.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:37 PM

I totally agree with you, FWLover. While I do a lot of custom quilting, there are many quilts that do better with basic quilting to allow the beauty of the piecing shine through. I have more of a problem with a few people who enter 3-4 quilts in every category of our fair every year and win first, second or Best of Show every single year. I’ve given up entering in the state fair because of it...

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-04-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I would not enter my quilts in any shows. I don't do that kind of quilting. I just want my quilts to be used. Heavy quilting is not for me.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:56 PM

I have entered quilts into our local show, the fair and even a certified judged show. I also do long arm custom quilting--and love it so sometimes there is heavy quilting! that said, I sure don't always win, or win anything! I enter shows because I like to be part of the process; like for my finished work to be recognized (even if not a winner) and actually like the comments some judges give you so you can improve. That being said, I have to say that the quilter that was our local fair judge for several years made no bones about "hating modern quilting"--which I love! So of course no ribbons with her! But quilting is for me a way to be creative--regardless of the type of quilts one makes or the amount of quilting, or colors chosen, etc.