Old 01-14-2024, 12:06 PM
thrums

I have received a few questions about what goes on at a Virtual Retreat, so I thought I would post this message here.

Firstly they are interactive usually via Zoom, so you get to meet people from all over the US and sometimes English speakers from foreign countries.

One great thing about these retreats is that you have all of your supplies at your finger tips. Also, number of ladies in my area have homebound spouses and it is the only way they can attend retreats.
They are offered during the weekend.

The retreats are usually done in Zoom live. You are given a link and the retreat schedule. A private FB page is also available to display your work as you go. You can participate as you desire. Live demonstrations are recorded if you can't make the time.
There is a main Zoom room for shop discussions and presentations throughout the day. In between those times is sewing time. You get quite a bit of time to sew too. The main room becomes the quiet sew room with occasional questions amongst participants. Breakout rooms are open for those who want to get together with friends to sew and chat. You can move from room to room to meet new quilters. There is a tech breakout room for questions with the shop keepers about techniques, inventory, etc.

There is game time in the evening....usually bingo..... with prizes. Door prizes are awarded throughout the day. You don't have to be present for door prizes.

A discount code is given to participants for purchases during the retreat.

River's Edge has a 1 hour live sale night for current and sale items.

Gift boxes are sent to you before the event begins. They contain a number of items that varies from retreat to retreat. They can include fabric, notions, books, patterns and treats. The last Fabric Patch retreat focused on Dresden Plates. We got a Dresden plate ruler, fabric and a book as well as notions and goodies. We had demos on traditional and modern patterns. I really enjoyed it because I wanted to expand beyond traditional patterns, and I was not disappointed.

The price of the retreat can sometimes seem daunting. Most retreats range between $60-$80 plus gift box shipping. However, I've found the contents of the box helps offset the cost of the retreat.

Gail at River's Edge just posted a last call for her retreat, so she can start getting the boxes ready. Fabric Patch is still taking entrants.

I started attending River's Edge and Fabric Patch retreats alone. Now 4 of my friends attend with me. I've met quilters from across the US.

If you have any more questions, just ask or contact a specific shop owner.