Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions please for 2024 Virtual Quilting Retreats >

Suggestions please for 2024 Virtual Quilting Retreats

Suggestions please for 2024 Virtual Quilting Retreats

Old 12-21-2023, 03:20 PM

Default Suggestions please for 2024 Virtual Quilting Retreats

I'm getting my 2024 calendar set up for live virtual quilting retreats. I enjoy meeting quilters and sewists from around the world in the comfort of my home. I have learned quite a bit from those attending and from the shops that host the events via Zoom.

Here are three of my upcoming retreats to help me beat the wintertime blues.

January Sew Smart out of Wausau, WI. This one is new to me. (5) Facebook

February These are my two favorite retreats. I've been attending them for about 4 years now. They have a nice following of quilters.================================================== =======================================

I've heard there are other shops across the US and a few in Canada that hold winter retreats, but I can't seem to find online postings.

---->If you know of a shop that offers Virtual Retreats via Zoom, I'd appreciate knowing about it. I'm sure others would too!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by thrums; 12-21-2023 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-21-2023, 07:13 PM

I don't know of any virtual retreats offered by quilt shops, but the guild I belong to has a monthly virtual retreat on the 4th Saturday and Sunday of each month. We meet on Zoom at 9:00, 12:00, and 3:00 each day. I love these virtual retreats because it's an opportunity to socialize with other members of my guild without having to pack up a sewing machine and all the other paraphernalia. I like it because it also allows the option of getting other things done around the house (running a load of laundry) or lunching with my hubby while still participating in the retreat. You might check with some of your local guilds to see if they offer virtual retreats.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:50 PM

If you are up for a challenge, how about doing your own quilt retreat with Kathryn Kerr's 365 day challenge?
https://kathrynkerr.com/365-challenge-quilt/
Each person would have to sign up for the free blocks. A schedule could be set up to show off blocks and/or discuss problems, etc.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:33 AM

Gudrun puts them on, I have never participated but see some lovely quilts from them.
https://gequiltdesigns.com/search?ty...age&q=Retreats
Old 12-24-2023, 09:49 AM

That Valentine Virtual retreat sounds like a lot of fun.... I might need to sign up for it!
Old 12-26-2023, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
That Valentine Virtual retreat sounds like a lot of fun.... I might need to sign up for it!
They are fun! They're a nice group of ladies and gent. There are over 50 participants, and you can learn from everyone. Some do applique, some do machine piecing, and some are long arm quilters. You can stay in or visit any of the Zoom breakout rooms to meet people more personally or stay in the main room for more quiet time during the open sew sessions. There is a lot of time to get projects done.

Last edited by thrums; 12-26-2023 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2024, 12:06 PM

I have received a few questions about what goes on at a Virtual Retreat, so I thought I would post this message here.

Firstly they are interactive usually via Zoom, so you get to meet people from all over the US and sometimes English speakers from foreign countries.

One great thing about these retreats is that you have all of your supplies at your finger tips. Also, number of ladies in my area have homebound spouses and it is the only way they can attend retreats.
They are offered during the weekend.

The retreats are usually done in Zoom live. You are given a link and the retreat schedule. A private FB page is also available to display your work as you go. You can participate as you desire. Live demonstrations are recorded if you can't make the time.
There is a main Zoom room for shop discussions and presentations throughout the day. In between those times is sewing time. You get quite a bit of time to sew too. The main room becomes the quiet sew room with occasional questions amongst participants. Breakout rooms are open for those who want to get together with friends to sew and chat. You can move from room to room to meet new quilters. There is a tech breakout room for questions with the shop keepers about techniques, inventory, etc.

There is game time in the evening....usually bingo..... with prizes. Door prizes are awarded throughout the day. You don't have to be present for door prizes.

A discount code is given to participants for purchases during the retreat.

River's Edge has a 1 hour live sale night for current and sale items.

Gift boxes are sent to you before the event begins. They contain a number of items that varies from retreat to retreat. They can include fabric, notions, books, patterns and treats. The last Fabric Patch retreat focused on Dresden Plates. We got a Dresden plate ruler, fabric and a book as well as notions and goodies. We had demos on traditional and modern patterns. I really enjoyed it because I wanted to expand beyond traditional patterns, and I was not disappointed.

The price of the retreat can sometimes seem daunting. Most retreats range between $60-$80 plus gift box shipping. However, I've found the contents of the box helps offset the cost of the retreat.

Gail at River's Edge just posted a last call for her retreat, so she can start getting the boxes ready. Fabric Patch is still taking entrants.

I started attending River's Edge and Fabric Patch retreats alone. Now 4 of my friends attend with me. I've met quilters from across the US.

If you have any more questions, just ask or contact a specific shop owner.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:29 AM

This all sounds like a lot of fun! I'd never considered an online quilting retreat before. I assume that they are all private and not open to the entire internet.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
This all sounds like a lot of fun! I'd never considered an online quilting retreat before. I assume that they are all private and not open to the entire internet.
That is correct. Attendees get a Zoom link and code that changes daily. FB is a private group.

Last edited by thrums; 01-15-2024 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2024, 12:02 PM

Jerry Stube does in person and virtual retreats 2-3 ties a year. She lives in Florida.