Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what is the largest quilt you've ever made? >
  • what is the largest quilt you've ever made?

• what is the largest quilt you've ever made?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Last night I (my DH and 3 friends) Sandwiched a batik quilt measuring 100 x 111. This is my biggest so far. I plan to FMQ on my Domestic sewing machine It will be a killer on the shoulders!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Wow! Thats a job! Esp with upholstery fabrics!! Hope youll take pictures and show us how its going along the way!!
    Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM
    Power Poster

I've never gone larger than a queen-size. For yours -particularly coz it's upholstery fabric, I would suggest putting the whole top together and the entire backing but cutting the batting in thirds. Then you only sandwich the center part and roll the rest of the top and backing so you ONLY quilt the center piece. It is MUCH LESS bulk when you don't have to handle the rest of the batting. The side sections get added one at a time and then you can quilt that side section. Again, you will have to deal with only 1/3 of the quilt under the throat of your machine.
    Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Last night I (my DH and 3 friends) Sandwiched a batik quilt measuring 100 x 111. This is my biggest so far. I plan to FMQ on my Domestic sewing machine It will be a killer on the shoulders!!!!
    Yes! The shoulders! I'll definitely have to pace myself, and remember not keep my shoulders scrunched up. Good luck with yours - a giant batik quilt sounds lovely; pictures?

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I've never gone larger than a queen-size. For yours -particularly coz it's upholstery fabric, I would suggest putting the whole top together and the entire backing but cutting the batting in thirds. Then you only sandwich the center part and roll the rest of the top and backing so you ONLY quilt the center piece. It is MUCH LESS bulk when you don't have to handle the rest of the batting. The side sections get added one at a time and then you can quilt that side section. Again, you will have to deal with only 1/3 of the quilt under the throat of your machine.
    This is a very interesting idea...I think I will do this, although I think I'll still need to put the entire center section together because of the type of "pattern" I plan to do with the quilting (long diagonals, but curvy). I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to match the ends effectively if I stopped and started them. But I like the idea of leaving off the borders from the top (my original plan) and leaving off the batting for those borders, and just have the backing be its full size right from the start. Now it'll be a piece of cake!! (Wishful thinking.)

I'll post pics during the wrestling - probably in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice!

Alison
    Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Sounds like that is the way to go. It will be quite a task even then. I wonder if the person realizes how heavy it will be?
    Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I think this is a great idea! I have a book that explains this, but haven't tried it yet..
    Kif
    Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM

Allison, You are brave. Good for you. The largest I have made is 90x95.
    Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Allison, You are brave.
    Or crazy!!

Alison
    Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM

My largest is 96X108 for our queen size bed. I love the size. Neither my DH nor I can complain about someone hogging the covers. Plenty to go around. I hand quilted it.
    Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts
    I am working on a ginormous quilt, which I predict will end up being 124" square when complete. This is the largest I have ever done, breaking my old record by about 9" on width and length. I am going to quilt it on my DSM. It is made from upholstery fabrics, and will weigh a ton when it is finished. Oh, and it is for a paying customer.

I am still at the piecing stage...and I am already having nightmares about the layering and quilting!

Last night as I lay awake (at 3am, of course) I mulled the various approaches to quilting this behemoth: should I QAYG? Should I do it in sections then combine the pieces? Bite the bullet, do the whole thing as one piece and pray for increased upper body strength to infuse me?!?

I think I have decided to combine all the pieced squares (which will make a center of about 96" square), layer that on the backing with a generous allowance all around (l'm thinking about 30" on each side), quilt that, and then add the enormous border...

What say ye?

Alison-the-Unnerved

PS The quilting will be simple - mostly wavy diagonal lines, and SITD - so there won't be too much FMQ going on.
    I say u go girl!