Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the largest size quilt you've comfortably quilted on a Juki TL2010q? >

What's the largest size quilt you've comfortably quilted on a Juki TL2010q?

What's the largest size quilt you've comfortably quilted on a Juki TL2010q?

Old 10-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Default What's the largest size quilt you've comfortably quilted on a Juki TL2010q?

Hello everyone!

I am going to be quilting an 85" x 85" quilt on my Juki TL2010q. I've never quilted anything near this big before.

What is the largest size quilt you have been able to complete on this machine without going crazy? I am considering using Marti Michell's "Quilt in Sections", but as there are 3 rows of 3 blocks my quilt, I think it might be very difficult to get straight horizontal and vertical lines that are straight after the sections are finally sewn together (think of a tic-tac-toe pattern).

The quilting itself will be 1/2" channel quilting using a walking foot on this reproduction quilt.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:43 AM

I don't have the measurements but I have made a king size with a 20" drop on my 2010q. I actually quilted the center first, then attached "sides" all around the edge to make the drop. The hardest thing about channeling a large quilt is when you have to turn the quilt around to go back the other way. Then the entire quilt is in the throat. Doable with a thin batting but definitely not fun.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

well, it wasn't exactly comfortable, but I had my machine on a 9.5' frame and the quilt was king-sized. it took some creativity.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I don't have the measurements but I have made a king size with a 20" drop on my 2010q. I actually quilted the center first, then attached "sides" all around the edge to make the drop. The hardest thing about channeling a large quilt is when you have to turn the quilt around to go back the other way. Then the entire quilt is in the throat. Doable with a thin batting but definitely not fun.
That sounds like a lot of work! If you start in the center, work your way right, then start in the center and work your way left you never have more than half the quilt in the throat. Depending on your design choices you might then turn the quilt 90 degrees and repeat the process.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holly H NY View Post
That sounds like a lot of work! If you start in the center, work your way right, then start in the center and work your way left you never have more than half the quilt in the throat. Depending on your design choices you might then turn the quilt 90 degrees and repeat the process.
I have a brother PQ1500 which has pretty much the same dimensions as the Juki. I have done a large queen size, starting in the middle and working out, as Holly H NY says. I have tables to support the quilt. It wasn't hard. It took a long time because I changed motifs and did what is for me, denser quilting.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:01 PM

I just completed FMQing a 90x108 on my Juki, it actually went pretty well! I had to take it slow and a ton of repositioning but it worked out great!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:58 PM

I've quilted several large queen quilts on my Juki TL2200 (same as the 2010) and will be quilting a 120x120 king shortly. 1/2" channel quilting with your walking foot should be very doable - much more so if you're not on the diagonal. I agree with starting from the center and taking it slow expecting to reposition your quilt a lot. I also have a large table which helps support the quilt and reduce the drag. I've always had great results quilting on my Juki - FMQ or walking foot - just take your time Look forward to seeing pics of your finished quilt!
Old 10-03-2019, 03:01 PM

Check out Marti Mitchell's section called Low-Carb. You keep the top and backing intact but section
the batting to cut down on bulk. That enabled me to quilt a 104" x 90" on my Juki DX7.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:59 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with me! I am definitely going to try to keep the whole 85 x 85 intact, rather than in sections. Your replies gave me the confidence to just dive in and quilt it!