Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Chatty Cathy >
  • Chatty Cathy

• Chatty Cathy

Old 09-15-2013, 03:10 AM

I have a co-worker who, no matter what the topic of conversation, has done that, been there, and can top it. Some of us avoid him like the plague and others like him. I'd say it's a personality match. If none of you like this woman then I would move the meeting place to a private home for a while.
    Old 09-15-2013, 03:14 AM

I thin Oma66 has the best response, kind and considerate. You don't know what compels this woman to chat non-stop, it very well could be her way of trying to be friendly, reaching out to your group. She may be very lonely or living a troubled life and looking for some peace and solace from a group of women. I think it is hard to walk into a group that has been together for a while because there is already an air of companionship in a group that I'm not a part of. She may be simply introducing herself, letting you know what she has accomplished in case someone else finds something about her that they can connect with. I wouldn't assume she is just a know-it-all. Give her a chance, friendship is a precious commodity that a lot of people don't have.
    Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by clements
    It just ruined the whole day. I realize she's new, probably nervous and anxious for friends etc., but the group could fold if this continues. No, she was not invited, but we meet in a public place and the drop in issues has never come up. No one knows her, so can't really take her aside and suggest she talk less. Any ideas? Several people have said they won't continue if she keeps this up. Of course no one wants to confront her. Thanks for ideas.
    "The group could fold if this continues" I'm sorry but your group sounds extremely judgmental and not the type of group I would want to be a part of. The intolerance is pretty astounding after just one very nervous first meeting for your new "friend" I'm surprised ya didn't all stone her while you were busy talking behind her back.
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by oma66
    Yes, I do have a solution...first of all, since you don't know her, you don't know what her life is like outside the quilting room. Secondly, she is in need, it appears, of friendship. So...it would be benefical if someone in the group, maybe you, could invite her to go to lunch and in the conversation, without pointing fingers, let her know that the group enjoys little conversaton while working or however you want to word it. I know the type of personality - their contant talking usually means they are insecure and they need reassurance. I hope some effort is made to help her understand the quilt group without making her feel unwanted. However, if she does not get the hint about the constant talking in the group, then she will have to be told outright that the constant convesation is unwelcome, but she is welcome. It can be done in a friendly and loving way. I hope this helps.
    I like this!
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 AM

Is there someone in the group with leadership qualities, who could take the initiative, and when she starts talking about herself, make a pointed remark, like "Cathy, it sounds like you travel a lot" (if she was talking about travel, for instance) Or "Wow, you must go shopping a lot"(if she talks about things she buys) and then say, to someone else, "Joan, I wanted to hear about your trip to Las Vegas" -- in other words, turn the conversation away from her. And if she butts in again, "I really want to hear what Joan is saying right now." And have a few people and topics you REALLY want to hear about at each meeting.

It would take someone with a strong personality, but maybe CC would get the point.
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 AM

I'm a Chatty Cathy. I can talk about nothing for hours. I spend most of my days w/children or alone. My life is busy & full, but I still crave friendship. I tend to come across as a bit spacy. I reach out to other people, eventually I find ones that will accept me just the way I am. I have a huge heart. I'm generous. I'm kind. I'm a loyal friend. I've had many successes through out my life and many failures. I've had a lot of life experiences and I'm pretty much an open book. I try to accept people as they are, even if I think they're a wee bit odd. So long as a person causes no harm, who am I to say they are less in some way. I'm glad not every one I meet wrote me off that way. The people who know & love me have no problem say'n, "Woman, can you let me finish my sentence please!" We all laugh & I try hard to shut up. I can't help it... some people are compulsive shoppers, I'm a compulsive talker! I feel bad for the woman you're talking about. Perhaps once she feels a part of the group she won't have the need to be so chatty. Thank you Oma66 for being a person of acceptance. The world needs more of you. Now I know you can't be talking about me because we never meet. How many of us out here are incisive chatter boxes? They say that people come in to our lives for a reason... I hope you give this woman some time. Eventually she'll disappear if she senses she's not welcomed anyways.
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 AM

please dont hurt her feelings... I know how she feels being the new person and she may not know any one else in the area... she is needing someone to talk to.. put yourself in her shoes... we are all new at one time and need someone to help us maybe suggest out loud to have some soothing music to play and then have talk time at the end of the quilting or before... this will give everyone time to reflect and enjoy their quilting time
    hugs
    quiltin mama
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 AM

Perhaps when CC gets better acquainted she will tone it down. Sounds like nerves or maybe she's lonely and needs to connect with someone. People who live alone tend to talk more when they are with people. We women have a certain number of words to use each day and, if they aren't used they gotta come out somehow!
    Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 AM

I would certainly give her another chance or maybe 3 or 4! Sometimes it's hard to be new in a group that is already established and sometimes it's hard to accept someone new into your group. She may turn out to be a super addition and a great friend! As long as she's not a Debby Downer or someone who puts other people down all the time, give her a chance to fit in.
    As for the Chatty Cathy doll, i remember in grade school, we had to write a letter to Santa. The teacher gave them to our parents- i wanted a CC doll so bad! I did get one- loved that doll! Wish I had kept it.
    Old 09-15-2013, 05:38 AM

I believe honesty is always the best policy.Just tell her tactfully that her chatter is disrupting the group and to please quiet down.